Wanna sell a few guitars...Can anyone help me appraise?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Les Paul Custom 1981 (Don't think that it's been modified beyond the Kahler locking system)

Gibson Faded Flying V Three Pickup guitar 1998? Maybe later.

Both have hard-shells..

What should I be considering?

Will provide any details necessary.

Thanks.

A perspective from a regular old buyer not really a collector.

My rule of thumb is I don't want to pay more than 1/2 of what they sell for new. I tend to use MF's listed price as a base. The faded Vs are currently going for almost $1,000 new. so $500 with a case is reasonable. If you are looking to unload it fast then I would look at pricing closer to an Epiphones new price, maybe $350-$400.

The Les Paul is a little trickier in that it was modded with a Kahler. I don't mind Kahlers but the over all general impression of them is they suck. So that may drive potential buyers away. Also being modded likely lowers the value & would kill any collector value (although I don't believe the 80s Pauls have any real collector value). With all that being said I think Probably in the same ballpark $350-$500.

The above, for me anyway, is based on lots of fret life left, frets are smooth and leveled, neck is straight/true, wiring/pots in good working order, & no major issues.

I'm in line with the above opinion on the V.... I hate three pickup Gibsons, the middle pickup is just a hindrance to my picking hand.

The Custom I disagree on.....to the RIGHT buyer, which is someone that actually likes Kahlers (like me).... I think you could get a grand-ish for it. As long as the binding, inlays, etc are straight with no issues...I mean it's still a LP custom, and could be put back to stock for 4 or 500 bucks depending the finish.

FWIW I haven't owned a Gibson in 5 or 6 years, and I'm an school BC Rich guy who digs Kahlers.

Are you sure the Les Paul is modded? In the '80s, Gibson did put Kahlers on some Les Pauls stock. I'd take the strings off and remove the tremolo to see if the route looks stock or not (should be painted, I believe).

As for assessing value, I'd say it depends on the individual market. What a Les Paul sells for in So Cal could be significantly different from Michigan. Looks at Craigslist and local listing site for similar models and price accordingly.

Around here, a faded V would go for $500-700. It being a 1998 model, it'd probably increase the value a bit since most see the '90s as Gibson's peak era (minus the highly desirable '50s & '60s). If you put that in your listing, it might attract more attention. As for the Les Paul, I have no idea. The Kahler isn't desired by the LP traditionalists, but is by the hot rodded guys that want to get into a LP without spending a fortune on the Axcess. Personally, I'd love to have an old Gibson Les Paul with Kahler. :wink:

Is this your Craigslist ad?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/msg/3250526337.html

Anyway, an old Gibson Custom Les Paul with Kahler did get listed on our local Craigslist for $900. I called instantly and got in touch with the guy. He said he'd call when we got home at 9pm, but never did. I called back around 9:30pm and he said he sold it to a guy who offered him more than his asking price. The point is, $900 was low since he got more and it still sold the first day he listed it. Take that for what it's worth.

Check the woods on your Gibsons first! They had a real problem last year with poorly sourced ebony, and if you Paul has Honduran Mahogany, the value (if in good shape) isn't Epi price points.

Just make sure to call the wood out if they're ebony and such...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/08/06/158203277/gibson-guitar-settles-criminal-case-over-exotic-wood-imports

Oregon said:
Check the woods on your Gibsons first! They had a real problem last year with poorly sourced ebony, and if you Paul has Honduran Mahogany, the value (if in good shape) isn't Epi price points.

Just make sure to call the wood out if they're ebony and such...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/08/06/158203277/gibson-guitar-settles-criminal-case-over-exotic-wood-imports

I have read about that too...Pretty weird...Fortunately, for my case, I don't think it stretches back to 1981. Does it?

The ruling hit them last year in the fall. So your gtrs are well before that.

And yeah... Pretty weird. There is a super informative vid on you tube from Bob Taylor regarding ebony sourcing in particular. It makes me sad that so much perfectly good ebony has been passed up due to it not being streak free.

Also you should "watch" the 1981 Kahler lp on eBay to see what it goes for? Sometimes I've had to just let bidding deliver the price when items didn't sell for my buy it now price... The Kahler might be a negative due to the nut placement for some buyers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4069.m570.l1313&_nkw=1981+les+Paul&_sacat=0

Oregon said:
Also you should "watch" the 1981 Kahler lp on eBay to see what it goes for? Sometimes I've had to just let bidding deliver the price when items didn't sell for my buy it now price... The Kahler might be a negative due to the nut placement for some buyers.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4069.m570.l1313&_nkw=1981+les+Paul&_sacat=0

Much thanks man...It's a painful but VERY useful perspective...Maybe I'll just keep her. I have it listed at 2799 with some wiggle room but I don't know now...

I appreciate the help!

Don't expect a quick sale. That's all I can tell you. Stuff will sell but it will take a while for the right buyer to come along. It all depends upon condition.

If you buy a collector guitar like a Gibson custom shop or a PRS custom shop, and intend to some day sell it for a decent price, leave the thing in the case, never play it. Buy an Epiphone, change the pickups out, and play the hell out of that. You want no marks on your custom shop.

It's like a used piano. A used Steinway drops 50% in value if it's played regularly by your average musician. But if it's owned by a famous person and played by them and has the paperwork to prove it? It appreciates in value. Buy a Steinway, upgrade it to make it perform better, it lowers the value. Go figure, but that's the rule. Original equipment even if it is lesser quality.

Julia said:
Don't expect a quick sale. That's all I can tell you. Stuff will sell but it will take a while for the right buyer to come along. It all depends upon condition.

If you buy a collector guitar like a Gibson custom shop or a PRS custom shop, and intend to some day sell it for a decent price, leave the thing in the case, never play it. Buy an Epiphone, change the pickups out, and play the hell out of that. You want no marks on your custom shop.

It's like a used piano. A used Steinway drops 50% in value if it's played regularly by your average musician. But if it's owned by a famous person and played by them and has the paperwork to prove it? It appreciates in value. Buy a Steinway, upgrade it to make it perform better, it lowers the value. Go figure, but that's the rule. Original equipment even if it is lesser quality.

Very good assessment and true to this sale. I am finally selling this Thursday. And being the weak man I am, accepted another Les Paul (Studio) in partial trade...Plus, finding the right cash buyer, as you mentioned, would take more time than I have...

Good advice and thanks!