Anticipation

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
out of the recently listed, I'm more than happy to talk about Mastodon, Devo, Zappa, Mr Bungle, FNM, Cult, Lamb of God, Floyd.

Good call in Laaz Rocket. I honestly didn't think anyone else had heard of them. Plenty of old school thrash guys seem to have missed them. Probably because the name sounds like a hair band and guys with sleeveless denim jackets & Venom back patches don't want to go NEAR a dude in fishnets & frills ;) :lol:

JD said:
I'm guessing you are about 39. Lol

Dead on. 40th next month. :roll:

Whoopysnorp said:
Tell me about it. The only band mentioned here so far that I can get into is Talking Heads (which happens to be in my top five of all time). Anybody wanna talk about Cardiacs, King Crimson, Mastodon, High on Fire, Melvins, Devo, Wire, Oceansize, STNNNG, The Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Rapeman, Boris, Torche, Baroness, Cheer-Accident, Frank Zappa, Magma, Secret Chiefs 3, or Mr. Bungle?

I've heard of Devo and Frank Zappa...
bugsAlbuquerque.jpg

:wink: :lol:

Oyster said:
How about Some Cult, Helloween, Lamb of God, GWAR, Faith no More, Laaz Rocket, Pink Floyd, Danzig.

Angel Dust is, of course, one of the best albums of all time, in any genre. I can totally get down on some GWAR too.

drewiv said:
JD said:
I'm guessing you are about 39. Lol

Dead on. 40th next month. :roll:

Whoopysnorp said:
Tell me about it. The only band mentioned here so far that I can get into is Talking Heads (which happens to be in my top five of all time). Anybody wanna talk about Cardiacs, King Crimson, Mastodon, High on Fire, Melvins, Devo, Wire, Oceansize, STNNNG, The Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Rapeman, Boris, Torche, Baroness, Cheer-Accident, Frank Zappa, Magma, Secret Chiefs 3, or Mr. Bungle?

I've heard of Devo and Frank Zappa...
bugsAlbuquerque.jpg

:wink: :lol:

Heh, that reminds me: I was in Montreal last month and saw some Looney Tunes dubbed into French. One of them was the same cartoon from which that scene comes, and instead of Albuquerque, Bugs said "Chicago".

VitaminG said:
out of the recently listed, I'm more than happy to talk about Mastodon, Devo, Zappa, Mr Bungle, FNM, Cult, Lamb of God, Floyd.

Good call in Laaz Rocket. I honestly didn't think anyone else had heard of them. Plenty of old school thrash guys seem to have missed them. Probably because the name sounds like a hair band and guys with sleeveless denim jackets & Venom back patches don't want to go NEAR a dude in fishnets & frills ;) :lol:

The lead guitar player in Laaz Rocket was also in Exedous.

How about Metal Church the badlands album?

Anyone?

My leather jacket with a sleeveless jean jacket on over it with the Overkill Horrorscope album cover painted on the back.

zepplin490 said:
How about Testament ... best metal band never to make it big!
-mp-

One of my all time favorite bands, Souls of Black was a big influence on me back in the day. I Saw them recently in Atlantic City....they still put on an amazing live show. Eric Peterson is one of the most under rated metal guitarists ever, simply awesome. Of course Skolnick is no slouch either, I'll listen to him over Kirk Hammett any day of the week... :lol:

I love scholnick .. specially on "musical death, a dirge" love "the preacher" and "deciples of the watch" i just doesnt get any heavier!!
-mp-

Currently listening to the latest High on Fire record...man, this stuff is intense! I liked them before this album, but they took it to a new level on this one! Here's a particularly choice and brutal number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgdJRNFa00

You can really hear the Soldano in Matt Pike's tone.

Whoopysnorp said:
Currently listening to the latest High on Fire record...man, this stuff is intense! I liked them before this album, but they took it to a new level on this one! Here's a particularly choice and brutal number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgdJRNFa00

You can really hear the Soldano in Matt Pike's tone.

Wow! Going to pick that up today.

Cool tune! Has simple Black Sabbath-like guitar hooks but a more modern energy.
I know what some of you guys mean about the virtuoso thing. I love Vai, Satch, etc. but they can get old quickly. (BTW, check out this short Vai interview on his Zappa audition:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx1RguHA4XE

I will disagree with someone who put Eric Johnson in that category. I believe that Eric is one of the few out there who can play that fast and still come out musical. There is a difference btw a guitar player and a musician. EJ is both. I respect people who can play fast. However, there are people out there who can play slow and musically and that seems to be even harder to pull off. Stevie Vaughn once opened up for BB King and said something to the effect of "I was trying to impress him and I played every note I knew. BB came out and said the same thing with one note."

I still have two mods out there and I feel like a junky who has cleaned up for a while and getting the itch. Knowing that the mod is out there seems to take care of it for a while, but sooner or later I start getting that "Life is meaningless" thing going and I know that only a new mod will fix it. Someone tell me that the VybeDeluxe and SLO gave their life new meaning....at least for a while.

OK, I am still waiting on my VybeDeluxe and SLO-100. It has been so long I feel like I am now clean and am not thinking about my new mods night and day. the counseling has really helped. I am almost afraid of what will happen when I get them....kind of like a tolerance break from weed and when you start up again and you get too high too fast.

ricky said:
OK, I am still waiting on my VybeDeluxe and SLO-100. It has been so long I feel like I am now clean and am not thinking about my new mods night and day. the counseling has really helped. I am almost afraid of what will happen when I get them...

If it plays out like it does for me. The mod arrives & your at work. Come home & it's dinner time... UGH the wait. Everyone can go hungry for awhile right. :p I guess not, so an hour or so later woohoo I get to play. Boo everyone is home & watching TV, doing homework, playing vid games, etc, etc, so super low volume. CRAP. Not the mod, just that I can't turn it up. :lol: Maybe the next day or a couple days later I get to plug in & crank it up, but probably only for a 1/2 hour or so. :( Not really long enough to give it some good tweaking. Find an ok to okish tone. Then maybe another day or so goes by & I get to crank it up again. Woohoo more tweaking. find a tone or 2 I really like. :D A week or month or two later my ears play tricks on me & I don't really dig the tone. Tweak some more, think it sounds like every other mod. Rob comes out with another killer mod, so start planning the next acquisition. :lol: Also eventually determine the mod(s) don't sound the same & like it/them again. :oops: Although I still determine I need/want to acquire more mods. Rinse, Wash, Repeat cycle. :lol:

SLOD-100 is awesome. Vybe Deluxe don't know, but sounds pretty cool. Right now I can't decide between QuickMod, Trilogy, Texas Special, or Vybe Deluxe. I guess it depends on if I want something more specific for the P90s or another mid/high gainer for the eventual new Charvel or Jackson. :twisted:

Living it here as well :)

On the VybeDeluxe, it really responds differently to a variety of guitars. I've found the different voices plus lighter output single coils, p90's and humbuckers just makes me want to play and play. Add a touch of chorus, delay etc.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.