Hot-rodded Plexi high-gain module differences

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegyver

Reaction score
I have seen the term "hot-rodded plexi" thrown around for a few different modules like the Brahma #39, custom 1959RR and Quickmod module.

Can Rob or someone explain the flavor of "hot-rodded plexi" each module gets? Specifically where the Brahma #39 and Quickmod both seem to specifically cover a "hot-rodded plexi" but I also heard Rob mention that the Quickrod is a unique circuit.

It seems to me that:
Quickmod 1st gear with od1/od2 = AC/DC to Van Halen I/II
Brahma #39 = tweaked 80's slightly compressed plexi high gain (Lynch or maybe Nuno Bettencourt with the Slash AFD option)
1959RR custom = a little bit of everything

I've also heard elsewhere that the original quickrod 1st gear isn't a "true" plexi circuit and that it's still more of a vintaged flavored JCM800.

Can anyone give some insight into this?

I'll try.
The QuickMod sounds more like a hot rodded JCM 800.
I wouldn't say it would go as low gain as AC/DC,
but would certainly come down to VH1 gain levels.
Although it doesn't have that VH1 tone.
So this one doesn't really do the JMP Plexi sound.

The Brahma #39 sounds the most like a hot rodded JMP Plexi.
This one will get you your VH1 tones and WILL come down
to AC/DC gain, but is best at VH, Slash, etc.

The 59RR at full gain gets to just below the Brahma #39 high gain.
This is the most classic sounding of them. This gets you from JTM gain, to JMP gain to the JCM 900 gain, but stock not hot rodded. Certainly the
best for AC/DC and the most versatile of the 3.

I hope that helps.

Thanks!

Yes it does help, but I was hoping you would say something different because I still can't decide between the Brahma #39 and the Quickmod :?

I've listened to tons of clips of the actual Quick Rod and it absolutely nails the VHI tone (hot-rodded JMP plexi) and does the Back in Black level higher gain AC/DC quite well too.

Are you saying the Quickmod isn't a faithful repro of the Quick Rod then?

If it's just another high-gain JCM800 style module then I'm not interested because my SL2x covers that. I want it to cover the high-gain JMP plexi stuff too like the original Quick Rod does.

Having never played an actual Splawn, I can't speak to how close the QuickMod is to the original. But I have spent my time on the QuickMod.
For your needs I'd go with the Brahma #39.
I think you'll be really happy with it.

Thanks alot audiomidijace for your input. I'll probably take your advice and end up getting the Brahma #39.

For the Quickmod, I'm just a little surprised/bummed you aren't getting a hot-rodded JMP Plexi style tone using 1st gear like it's advertised as having, but I'll take your word for it!

Thanks for the input

I'd like to know if anyone else has an opinion on the Quickmod and if it gets into JMP plexi territory. I'd gladly borrow it from you and make a good demo 8)

Sorry for the late entrance to the party, the hurricane has been pretty time consuming this week!

I just sent this response to Rod this morning and thought it could help here as well:

- The Brahma #39 is going to be the closest thing to the Brown Sound I make. It retains the essence of the Brahma, adds gain, provides the additional gain stage via pull-pot and has a distinct tuning to make it stand apart from the rest. It does one thing and does it REALLY well.

- The 59RR is my "do-it-all" Marshall module. From old JMP clean to over the top JCM it does everything in between really well. It provides a wide range of gain and tone shaping options.

- The Quick Mod is it's own beast and quite different from the rest. It's intended for the higher gain tones. It is not recommended for 7/8-string or very low tunings. The tone stack is quite different and it has loads of different gain staging and tone sculpting options. It's the most non-traditional Marshall flavor of the three.

Well I'm sold. The next mod for me is the QuickMod. :D
Now I just need to find a donor on the relatively cheap. :lol:

I have a 2 channel 59 RR Custom with an additional deep swith option in Rob's production pipeline :p