Panic in Detroit - JF Modules Review

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Panic in Detroit

Knowing Bruce has always had its upside.

Two weekends ago, it really paid dividends in a way I had never imagined.

Some of you came to town for Bruce?s amp seminar. I wish LoD21 and I had the chance to meet more of you, but we did get to spend some serious quality time with Mr. Jaded Faith himself, Rob DeAntonio. Rob makes it pretty obvious on the phone that he is a great guy, but if you?re passionate about tube amps and get the opportunity to drink several beers with him, I HIGHLY recommend it :D Great guy! But, that?s not what this post is about. Don?t get me wrong, spending time with Rob was a hoot, but spending time with his modules was very enlightening. It?s fun to get a new module and put it through the ringer, but to have the designer help you tweak it in and give you immediate feedback was simply amazing. It gave us insight far beyond what we are able to accomplish via email and landline and we found a couple gems we might not have even tried based on the amps they were modeled after. So here we go, this is my review of the modules that really grabbed me. There were a few surprises. Hopefully, you guys find this information useful.

These are in no particular order

59RR Custom
This guy really nails Marshall tones! From AC/DC to Whitesnake and everything in between. I spent a lot of time playing the 59RR Custom. It was a lot of fun switching mode and gears and playing the appropriate tune with it. Highway to Hell in the JMP mode, switch the voicing and you?re playing Crazy Train. Go to the JCM mode and pull out the Appetite for Destruction catalog. Kick in the diode clipping, turn on the Haze and you?re ready for Zakk 101, turn off the diode clipping and you?re John Sykes. Great Marshall rhythm tone, awesome Marshall lead tone. Fantastic module! I really enjoyed it

Voxless
I have a good buddy who really needs some good old Rock & Roll tone. I had a feeling this module was for him and I was right. I?ve never actually heard a Matchless, but the Matchless side of the Voxless is very cool. When you push it it really reminds me of great 70?s tone. Clean up either side for some spectacular cleans. The rotary switch is a trip. Cool Module.

Texas Special
This is one of the one I really wanted to try and expected to buy. I was not at all disappointed with this module, very versatile clean tone. It was fun to switch up modes and mid-voicing for huge variety of flavors. I really liked Cali mode with the Texas eq and Texas mode with the Cali eq. Unfortunately, I realized that I just don?t use clean tone enough to justify a module that only does clean, even one that does it this well. All is not lost though, I found other modules to buy :p LOL

EV Trilogy
LoD21 has had one these guys for a few months. You have no idea how I want to love this module. Like the 59RR Custom, this covers a huge range of 5150?s and does them all pretty faithfully. I like modes I and III equally, but ? just like the Peavey?s themselves ? I just find myself wishing for different low end. The mids are dry and cut wonderfully, the highs are a tad more smooth than the 5150s I have played, which is good, the gain is plentiful and I love the overall sound, until I try to get the low end right, that?s when love turns to like. We have decided, after hearing how well this module tracks, to keep it around for the studio to do a more thorough evaluation, but I?m just not sure I would use it in my live rig. If it sounds great in the studio that?s what we bought it for anyway. I will update you guys when we get a chance to record it either way.

Quick Mod
This is one of the two modules I expected to buy based on description alone. I?m a Splawn fan and had high hopes for this. I lean more toward the Nitro, but who am I to question Rob?s wisdom? :p LOL His description is pretty accurate, this guy is boutique high gain Marshall Plexi and 800 tone and then some. The presence knob is a killer feature I hope he will offer as an ala? carte mod some day, it adds that upper air that big, fat, compressed, distorted amps can really use to sweeten up a bit. The Deep switch is a very interesting new feature on this amp as well. It does exactly what it says it does, it doesn?t change the low end per se, it just adds depth. Pretty cool new features, pretty cool new module.

Stein +
This is one of the modules Rob has been steering me toward from the beginning. Knowing my love for Dimebag and all things Pantera he has been touting this as his go to super heavy, riff for days module and he is 100% accurate! This thing eats, sleeps and craps METAL! Crank the gain, sweep the mids, balance the highs with the presence and TURN IT UP! This module is not for anyone with a heart condition. It?s just brutal, or should I say Vulgar :p LOL

XMG+
Another metal powerhouse, but in a different way. This module has very dry mids and a very modern metal sound. I guess the best comparison I can give is Staind. The gain is sneaky because it?s so dry. It may not sound like you have as much gain as you do, but it plays like you have a ton of gain. Great for solos, super tight low end, more gain than one guy could ever need. I couldn?t decide which one I liked better between this and the Stein+, so I didn?t bother. I like ?em BOTH :p LOL

RVerb
When I told LoD21 that this module was based on an Orange amp, he was like ?Yeah? Whatever, let?s try the Ultra Lead?. Luckily I insisted on trying the RVerb. WOW! The tonality on this module is cool. I mean like round sunglasses, lava lamps and black light cool. Awesome Brit voiced tone. Smooth, saturated, mid growl that cuts through with power and authority. Many of the harder edge guys form the early 70?s that I associate with Marshall?s used Orange amps in the studio. I?m almost positive Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi did. It seems too many of us 80?s/90?s metal heads dismiss Orange as vintage amps. Personally, I always lumped Orange in with Vox, boy was I shortsighted! This may have been my favorite module, not just because it surprised me, but because it packs such a whollop! GREAT Module, yeah? I bought one :D

Ultra Lead
Next to Egnater, VHTs are probably my favorite boutique amps. LoD21 has a JF Pit that I really like, but the Ultra Lead obliterates everything in its path! This module was everything I was looking for in the Trilogy. The mids are dry and cut like everything I like about the Trilogy, but the lows are just where I want them to be, big and tight. Kick in the Edge Switch and the module snarles and bites, I wouldn't leave this module alone with my four year old unattended! :lol: It has slightly less gain ? which is still more than I will ever use ? and compression which allows it to open up just enough for my live rig to sound killer, but it?s still aggressive and concussive. For others who wanted to love the Trilogy, but just don?t, this may be the module for you. All of the modules were very cool, but, to me, this and the RVerb were the stars if the show! I can?t wait for our order to come in and really put this module to the work!

There were other modules that we just didn?t get to, which doesn?t mean they aren?t cool, we just had a specific agenda. I hope this review helps more than it hurts :p LOL

Thanks again to Rob for this wonderful opportunity and for his dedication to the Randall MTS line and his customers!

Your opinions are welcome

Keep the Faith!

H

At this time I am currently listening to the ocean here in the Caribbean listening to Back for the attack but elated that I have access to the forum because ya know I need my fix.

Great post here by my brutha. Everything he says is right on point. Again I will just echo how much I also appreciate the opportunity to spend time having some drinks and making some noise with Rob white he was here.

Being a bit more narrow minded than big daddy I really just crave finding the ultimate high gain modules that nail modern heavy rock/metal and all I can say is the Ultralead is the ticket.

I should also mention that big daddy and I found some really nice tube combinations that really helped some of these modules. For the high gainers I would suggest trying a ruby 12ax7 ac5 hg+ balances with matched gain and rated at 110/110 or higher in v1 and a matched high gain Mullard reissue in v2 . Some of the semi high gainers got a little tighter with added saturation. The high gainers got tighter and more saturated as well. However the Mullard warmed Inge back up and eliminated the sterility of the super high gain tubes. Lots of nice spongy bounce yet still tight. I noticed the same thing with the mamba we. Give it a shot if you haven't yet.

eyeball987 said:
Oyster said:
Great reviews.

Sein+ should be at the house when I get home. :twisted:

I should have a JF XTC in the mail today myself.

Duh. Veterans Day. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow.

The USPS did say it would be here on Saturday. Oh well.

Don't feel bad gent's, I too went to the post office and forgot it was V-Day. Fortunately 2 of the 3 packages I had with me were labeled and could still be dropped off!

Howard: Thank you so much for the insightful reviews and your hospitality while I was in town. Dinner was as good as advertised and it was super cool of Shawn to call ahead to line up some of my favorite beers. I sincerely hope we can do it again sometime.

It has been an absolute pleasure taking the business out on the road this year and getting to meet so many of you. Not only do you get to see and hear how folks are using their rigs, you get to meet some genuinely amazing people along the way. I love talking tone with all of you and I really feel like some of the conversations help guys to think about things in ways they may not have on their own.

The trip to Cali and Detroit were busier than I anticipated and the manuals I am in the process of writing are still in the works. I think they will help bridge the gap even more. I have observed time and again how explaining a feature and it's applications helps open eyes on many a module that may have been overlooked otherwise.

All the best,
Rob

Sweet review! I'm glad to hear some insight into some modules where I may not have looked before.

Question about the Quickmod, did the quickmod capture the quick rod's sound as much as you wanted? It sounded like you liked it but were more impressed with others.

About the XMG+, does it get the Engl sort of sound? I like the clips posted for Salvation's "Angel E" module, and I figured this module was comparable.

Thanks again for the great review! I hope to try all of these modules out someday!

My RM1250 loaded with Texas Special, XTC with mid sweep option, 59RR platinum, Erect, and Stein+ came on Monday with UPS.

Merry F***ing Christmas to me!!!

Rob your the best!!!!! Thanks again.

Oyster said:
My RM1250 loaded with Texas Special, XTC with mid sweep option, 59RR platinum, Erect, and Stein+ came on Monday with UPS.

Merry F***ing Christmas to me!!!

Rob your the best!!!!! Thanks again.

Nice! My XTC arrived today. Looking forward to firing it up tonight.

mikegyver said:
Question about the Quickmod, did the quickmod capture the quick rod's sound as much as you wanted? It sounded like you liked it but were more impressed with others.

I honestly didn't know what a Quick Rod sounded like before I heard Rob's Quick Mod. I have heard a Nitro and, being a fan of gain and saturation, that was more the amp I was hoping he would recplicate. The Quick Mod sounds cool, but as to how faithful it is, I can only speak to Rob's attention to detail. His Vox, 59RR, Erect, Plexi, etc... amps I am more familiar with, sound like the amps he replicated, so when he says it accurrately mimics a Quick Rod, I tend to believe him

mikegyver said:
About the XMG+, does it get the Engl sort of sound? I like the clips posted for Salvation's "Angel E" module, and I figured this module was comparable.
someday!

If you're looking for an Engl sound, I would lean more toward the Stein+ or the Ultra Lead than the XMG+ The XMG+ is realy its own unique monster, very cool, but when I think of Engl, again... I have saturation on the brain, I think Saturation and Compression. LoD21 can chime in here at any time since he owns the Engl I am using for comparison

mikegyver said:
Thanks again for the great review! I hope to try all of these modules out someday!

No problem dude, it was my pleasure! I know I would have loved more input before I took a couple shots in the dark :p

Have fun choosing your new modules!!!

H

Also... upon re-reading my review there was one module that impressed me that I forgot to mention.

The updated XTC is very, very cool! I'm not a huge XTC fan, only because I like darker Recto tones, but Rob's undated XTC is much more rich sounding that his previous XTCs. Side by side with LoD21's last version XTC, it has warmer mids and an overall thickness that, in my opinion was a little lacking in the older XTCs which sounded a little bright to me

Your Mileage May Vary

H