Groove Tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgman70

Reaction score
Anybody use grooves in thier egnater or randall or in any of the modules?Man they are Pricey.

I just bought some 12Xa7R's for my input and loop tubes. I also piced up a pair of the GT ECC83S tubes. I put them in the SL+ module. sounds sweet! I have not tried the Power tubes. I just put in new Tung-Sol 5881's. I had the stock JJ E34L's in there. what a difference! Lots more low end but I feel I lost some crunch. the new pre amp tubes took care of that.

I have one of the Mullard "M" designated 12AX7 in my input stage to my MOD 50. I like it there, but I have to say normally I don't love their tubes. They always sound a little flat for me.

Groove tubes can be pricey but I like the ones I've bought so far.
EL34R quartet... 6L6Winged C duet. The 6L6 in particular are very nice tubes. The EL34R is pretty cool aswell.

Khing

I stuffed some GT6l6GEs in the MOD and boy they were harshest,raspy sounding tubes I've encoutered and not to mention pricey,I had a gift card for GC and they didn't have anything that I wanted so I blew it on some tubes and strings.

GT tubes are over-rate and over-priced. Unless you want to experiment and need to try some different flavors, my vote is to just get some Electro-harmonix. They are overall good, well made tubes.

GT mics and their pro audio stuff is very nice, however...

I've heard several complaints about GT over the years. They are pricey but so far my two purchases have been fair for the money.

I did try the "new" Mullards and was dissapointed... first quad, one was bad, second quad bad tone. I brought them back for refund.

So far as for over the counter tubes Sovtek, EH, Tung Sol, Svetlana, JJ, Ruby and Mesa have all been good to me.

I also did a bulk purchase of some tubes from the 50's and 60's this was my best purchase to date. Of the 200+ Tubes I bought I threw out one bad one... I bought them as is where is/tested from a local soarce... I have a batch of about 100 12AX7's coming soon.

Khing

Latest posts