Performing modifications to modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trendkill1168

Reaction score
I have a couple of the early modules and want to make the neccesary mods. Is there anything I need to know before I start switching the capacitors/resistors? It looks like an easy thing to do I just don't want to mess them up. I have a clean module with the original resistor and want to switch it out for the 150 ohm 1/2 w resistor and I have an Ultra Lead module with the original capacitor and want to switch that out for either the .0022 or the .001. Do ya'll recommend the .001 or the .0022 for the Ultra Lead?

Depends. I think they are both good Tones. .001 and .002 have their uses. I find the UL a little too Midrangy for Rhythm work. So I went with the .002 and kept it a "Lead Module" the stock .0047(?) was WAY too much though.

If I decide to keep it for the SUPER long haul I just might install a miniture DPDT switch on the face plate to go between .001 and .002 for different uses.

I plan to make a thread about it, but once you find the value you want. Try different cap types. It DOES make a difference. I was torn between a Mallory 150 and Sprague Orange Drop 716P for that Module. I ended up with the 716P. It's a subtle difference, but no doubt there.

NuSkoolTone said:
Depends. I think they are both good Tones. .001 and .002 have their uses. I find the UL a little too Midrangy for Rhythm work. So I went with the .002 and kept it a "Lead Module" the stock .0047(?) was WAY too much though.

If I decide to keep it for the SUPER long haul I just might install a miniture DPDT switch on the face plate to go between .001 and .002 for different uses.

I plan to make a thread about it, but once you find the value you want. Try different cap types. It DOES make a difference. I was torn between a Mallory 150 and Sprague Orange Drop 716P for that Module. I ended up with the 716P. It's a subtle difference, but no doubt there.

That's what I was kinda thinking about the .002 cap. I have a Recto module running the .001 and it is great for rhythm so I wanted to use the Ultra Lead strictly as a lead module. That would be pretty slick to have a switch on the module to go back and forth between caps! Now as far as the different types of caps would you have to go to an electronics store to be able to get different brands? I was going to just run over to Radio Shack.

If you put a .001 in the Ultra Lead, it is STILL going to be a lead only tone...it is too thick for anything else IMHO.

goldsparkletop said:
If you put a .001 in the Ultra Lead, it is STILL going to be a lead only tone...it is too thick for anything else IMHO.

Yeah I think I'm gonna buy one of each and try them both out to see which one I like better. I'll tell you though I went out looking for the caps today and couldn't find any. Radio Shack did not carry them at all. I even called a couple of local electronics stores and they didn't have them either. I did get the 150 ohm 1/2 w resistor for my clean module and put that in tonight. Man, what a difference that made! I hated that module before but now it sounds real good. It always seemed to be on the buzzy side and distorted easily now it's nice and smooth. I ordered a Rocktron Xpression and Midi Mate so I can't wait to get that gear hooked up and get some Chorus assigned to the clean channel via MIDI.

Yeah radio shack has stopped carrying parts. (at least in the mall locations) So I don't even go there anymore. I think it's dumb, but htat's a rant for another thread.

Try Small bear Elec. They have lots of caps at fair prices. You can go mouser or digi-key, but unless you spend over $20 they add a surcharge.

Go by value, not so much the voltage. I don't think there is a lot of voltage goin through there, guys using little ceramic caps is proof of that. It doesn't really matter, but yeah I've got a 600v 716p in my Ultra Lead because I didn't see anything smaller.

Grab a few values while you're at it so you can play around with them. .001,.002 etc. Also try a few different types. I messed with the mallory 150's, the Orange drop 715p and 716p. The 715p is a good cap, but I found the 716p more to my liking in all tests so far. Also compared to my Panasonic polys I like any of the above better still. Ceramics are my dead last choice. I'll only use that to test a values if I don't have what I like on hand.

I just ordered some Sprague Orange Drop 715P's in different values. Ordered 6 each of the .001, .0015, & .002. Kinda interested in checking out that .015 since it's in the middle of the .001 and .002. What is the difference between the 715 and 716 from your experience?

trendkill1168 said:
I just ordered some Sprague Orange Drop 715P's in different values. Ordered 6 each of the .001, .0015, & .002. Kinda interested in checking out that .015 since it's in the middle of the .001 and .002. What is the difference between the 715 and 716 from your experience?

This is ONLY from my experience in the modules. I found the 715p to do it's job but was a little vanilla. The 716p is a little more "hi-fi" where the 715p is a little more "woody". I find the 715p has a hair more mids than the 716p. For that flavor though I prefer the mallory 150 so far.

NuSkoolTone said:
trendkill1168 said:

This is ONLY from my experience in the modules. I found the 715p to do it's job but was a little vanilla. The 716p is a little more "hi-fi" where the 715p is a little more "woody". I find the 715p has a hair more mids than the 716p. For that flavor though I prefer the mallory 150 so far.

Thanks for the input man. I'm hoping these 715's are gonna work for me.