Perfect intonation!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl

Reaction score
Hey fellas,
We are all questing for that "perfect" tone, so I thought I'd share a link to some very interesting stuff that I have recently stumbled upon. I was searching the net for info on nut compensation. And I'm not talking about buying a Ferrari to compensate for a small phallus. :lol: I'm talking about a better option than an expensive Buzz Feiten setup or a cheap ***, plastic nut, Earvana job.
Check this out: http://www.monteallums.com/enut_tuning.html
He's got some other really cool stuff for sale as well. Lots of mods and such for a variety of applications.
Another informative link pertaining to setups is: http://www.setitupbetter.com/Nut-Compensation-Products.php
Read, learn, share, discuss... :wink: I found a lot of good reading material and links here. Enjoy.
"Both Earvana and Feiten benefit from the fact that alternatives are not well known."-from the website...
I found the section on "Guitar Geometry and Intonation" quite enlightening.

cool stuff..
I have a Buzz Feiten guitar and it is really great at its intonation.
I would love to have all my guitar with that,but its costly. I looked at this inexpensive option, but I tjink it would have to installed by a VERY good luthier..and by the time tnhat was done I think it would be a 150 job approx..
still worth it,,,but not cheap.
GtrGeorge

anyone kniw a VERY good luthier on Long island...I havent known a good one in years. Just average guys.
GtrGeorge

Monte says that if you have a well set up nut already, you can benefit from just using the tuning offsets. I don't have an accurate enough tuner right now because I mainly just use the tuner on the GMajor2. I got a hardtail guitar with a really good nut setup, so I'll post up some results when I get it all hooked up. I'm going to try to set it up on a project strat and see if I can get the full setup with the 0 fret and instead of leveling the "fret" I'm going to notch it inline with the nut slots. If that works, I'll do it on some of my other guitars. What kind of tuner are you using, George?

Daryl,
sorry I didnt check this post sooner...did know you had asked me a question.
Tuner? I admit Im am not really picky on that...so I use a KORG Pitchblack. It is road tough,light and its easy to read in the stage area. A few of my students have bought one,as well..becuase they have seen mine.
If I were really up on tuners Im sure Id have a Conn Strobe-o-tuner or its digital equivalent (they introduced a digital version some time ago..)...I say this because the only people that I know who ACTUALLY know about intonation use these.
But I dont intonate my own instruments..I have to rely on someone else..and I havent found a good guy in like 10 years (!!!!!!)
But for just tuning up, The Korg is fine for me. Asit relates to the Buzz feiten guitar I own..It was setup ptoperly from Tom Anderson, and I havent altered it in any way...I use the same gauge of strings etc..so it holds its intonation beautifully all the way around the neck...its a great Strat.
Hope that helps....
So how have your efforts been coming along???????
GtrGeorge