WHAT MAKES FOR A GOOD OVERDRIVE PEDAL?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Pearson

Reaction score
There are hundreds of Overdrive pedals out there. Some are described as "warm" or "creamy". Some rely on transistors and some rely on diodes to impart this warmth and creaminess.

So, in your opinion, which gives the "better" overdrive, a transistor or a diode? Are certain transistors or diodes better than others?

I've tried various diode-based Overdrive pedals and have been dissatisfied with all of them. Are there any obvious winners out there? Obvious losers?

Looking forward to hearing your opinion.
Graham

I use a lot of different boosts...I don't know if I subscribe to one type over another...I just don't use anything with a lot of coloration and it must be true bypass (unless it's in a buffered loop)...

My personal fave is my Keeley modded Tubescreamer...You can switch the chip inside for different takes on the screamer tone...I also really like the Fulltone OCD and Guitar Fetish Greenie...I've tried many others and liked them to different degrees...The Greenie is the best value as it's built solid, performs very well, and is cheap...Guitar Fetish makes some killer true bypass pedals!

I guess it depends on what you're using it for too...I keep the gain down and use it to give just a touch more hair to my tone...Almost like a clean boost...

It must be transparent..if a peak goes in it must come outnearly the same
It must be completely bypassable..no toneloading
It must be capable of pushing the front end of the amp

oh yeah it has to sound good.

GtrGeorge

I own 25 plus pedals...and currently dont use any out live. fwiw

For fun try a Morley JD-10 (Jerry Donohue)...Jerry always comes up with practical things.
A good tubescreamer is fun...but its never enough for me.
The Ibanez TK999 is pretty **** good...its a real 12ax7 being overdriven.
And every now and then there is an odd ball pedal that just puts a smile on your face...The Washburn Stack in a Box...is FUN....nothing amazing, but quite usable..and yeah I paid 19 bux for one years ago...I cant buy a hammer for that!
....and I can use this as a hammer if I need to...good steel construction!!!!!!
Happy Holidays!!!!

GtrGeorge

..Not sure what has diodes in it or not in the above post..I was just thinking aloud..whats good...what seems to work well.
GtrGeorge

Latest posts