ENGL mod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
I am considering commisioning an engl module from Rob, I have a few ideas for it but id really like to hear from all of as to what the module should comprise feature wise.. Id kinda like a powerball,Savage,invader switch that switches between the 3 tone stacks kinda like the trilogy I,II,III switch.
-mp-

Depends what you want it for. When i think Engl I think super high gain with tight but not lacking bass. You might be better off trying to nail one of the engl amps vs trying to get close to all three and not being able to nail one of them. Maybe two or three different modules are in order.

My Engl 520 preamp has a mid boost, lead boost, bright, rhthym/lead switch, and what's really interesting is it has both a gain knob and lead knob which is kind of like another gain knob as well. Perhaps it's a saturation pot of sorts?For me every module moving forward will have a saturation pot inside, tight switch, mid sweep. I just love the versatility.

It's your baby so sky is the limit.

I had a Salvo Angel and I didn't like that it sounded kind of like tin. I guess that sound is inherent in all ENGLS, but recorded, they sound great. I'd like something that tracks notes fast, have the 4 band EQ (Bass, lo mids, hi mids, treble), a high end cut knob (similar to VOX amps), Voicing similar to the SE series of Engl amps.

Yea i asked rob about it and he said that it is a mod that he wants to do but unless someone commissions one it will be quite a while..
-mp-

The module needs to really have a tight and punchy low end. The biggest problem with other Engl mods is that the low end is weak. Also, it should have as many of the below features as possible. In addition, a HUGE benefit would be to use PUSH BUTTONS instead of switches. This would totally ape the Engl vibe and be completely unique in the mod world.

2 different mids pots (Hi mids and low mids, like the Steve Morse Sig model)
Mid shift button (changes the focus of the mid EQ like the SM sig model)
Modern/Classic gain button (like the SE)
Normal Bright/Ultra bright button (like the SE)
Mega-Lo Punch button (like the SE)
Hi Gain button (like the Invader)
Noise Gate button (like most Engls)

This mod would be completely awesome.

zepplin490 said:
Yea i asked rob about it and he said that it is a mod that he wants to do but unless someone commissions one it will be quite a while..
-mp-

Does it cost any extra to commission a mod? I'd be in to do it.

I talked to Rob, and he cordially reminded me that my bright idea of buttons instead of switches won't work on modules... :oops: Apparently buttons need to be direct mounted to the PCB, and since that can't happen, it's switches, bitches!

I am really excited to hear what kind of Engl module Rob can come up with.

Commissioning a mod costs no more than buying an existing mod. I try to estimate the cost as closely to the finished selling price of the Replica Mod as possible when providing the initial quote.

I can confirm, this not that I need to, but I commissioned the GTO/KK mod & that is basically what I paid.