EL84 or 6L6's in power amp

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive got an rm4 that i am running stright into a Peavey Classic 50/50, and I have noticed that it does not have the cut and punch that i get when i run the rm4 into my Rm100 power section.. The 50/50 has the EL84's but ive been looking at getting a Peavey Classic 60/60 which has 6L6's.. Will i get more cut and a tighter overall sound with the 6L6's?
-mp-

In my limited head to head exposure I would expect the el34 to be a bit tighter as the 6l6 tubes produce more low freq vs the mid forward ness I associate with typical el34's.

Think fender twin vs Marshall plexi?

Oregon said:
In my limited head to head exposure I would expect the el34 to be a bit tighter as the 6l6 tubes produce more low freq vs the mid forward ness I associate with typical el34's.

Think fender twin vs Marshall plexi?

Funny, I thought it was the other way round, 6L6 being tighter than EL34
(and EL34 being tighter than EL84)

You know I've used 6l6's only in open backed cabs, and el34's only with closed backed cabs, so thats likely colored the tightness more than the tubes. My RT2/50 has 6550's and EL34's right now, so I should try true 6l6's in place of the 6550's...