Boost ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDWR

Reaction score
It seems like a lot of MTS users are using boost. Are you guys using Boost to compensate for pedals. Is anyone using boost only, and what type of pedals are you using.

I may be mistaken but when people say "boost", I think a lot of them are implying that they use an OD pedal to "boost" the gain or tighten it.

For my needs, digitech bad monkey. One of the best for slight pushes in it's price range. I actually find it transparent enough for my needs.

Zakk Wylde overdrive. Another cheapo 50$ all day long on used market. I like the mid push and bass tightening on this one.

BOSS GE-7 or any EQ to fatten/widen my tone now and again.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Zakk Wylde overdrive. Another cheapo 50$ all day long on used market. I like the mid push and bass tightening on this one.

I use this on all my medium-hi gain modules, especially when tracking, cuts through like a chainsaw

One great booster for the VOX type modules is the fireplace classic by covington effects.

http://www.covingtonguitareffects.net/Products.html

There are a number of boosters, some with knobs and stuff, some real basic. This will give you the Brian May/Queen treble-booster style tone that is really really awesome.

It isn't neutral, and will shape your tone, but in a great way. Use them on low/mid gain modules for a classic crunch. I'm really happy with mine!

I only use a clean boost /mid boost or Tube Screamer sims out of my Boss GT 10 for leads. I dont think my mods need a boost for regular playing and if you boost everything, all the channels start to sound too similar...

I find the absolute cheapest Tubescreamer works well at this..sure it has no lows below 100hz..but who needs that during a solo??
It'll set ya back about 18 bucks..
works quite well...

and btw..the boost on the rm50 and rm22 sucks..so dont bother using it...it does a weird thing with the sound and doesnt sound good.
Merry Christmas!!!

GtrGeorge

I use the Tech21 XXL pedal. Easily one of the most underrated pedals of all time. Has a cool "Warp" control that adjusts the balance of even and odd order harmonics. It's great for subtle boost, but can get some vicious gain with the Drive knob dimed!! Max the Warp knob and you are in fuzz territory.
http://tech21nyc.com/archive/xxl_archive.html
I've seen them go for under $60 on Evilbay.

One main stay boost has been my beloved Japanese TS-9. Love it but it adds its own color for sure. Dont like it with all my mods. I pair it with my Cusack Screamer V1 currently. I use the V1 for mostly a clean boost. It will add some mid color easily if needed. One absolutely cool clean boost I had was an el cheapo Behringer Compressor. Has a super bright blue led and was great for just turning everything to 11 for solos. Traded it to a friend and he uses it for every show he plays.

When I think boost its usually to break through during a solo type part. I have a custom clean boost that a friend made me that has a low/mid boost that works well. (Sean Ryan Customs/ checkem out/ lots of fuzz). Tc Electronic makes one very similar to it as well.
I use a module to boost my sound these days :)
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=16964

+1 MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive. I just got mine from eBay for $50. Really tightens up the bottom end on the high gain mods.

I have a modded SD-1.....love it for signal boost and low end tightening.

It is lower noise, higher gain than a stock SD-1 and has two different gain modes...but I only ever use one of them and I don;t think I ever swapped the op-amp chip for the alternate that came with it. It was quite expensive but can't remember who it is by..

I prefer it to all other boosts I've tried...although I have a Green Screamer (BBE?) which is close second.

I had been using a Fulltone FD2 Mosfet and a Fulltone OCD, but recently I scored a ModTone Clean Boost pedal for cheap. It sounds great. I also use a Joyo 6-Band EQ when I want to do Boston-like cocked wah tones.