Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, na i havent tried it, and im going to get a rm100m soon and im stuck between the 1086 and ultra xl. I just need to know more about the ultra xl. Sound clips or something.

I was speaking with someone at Synergy music the other day and they were comparing the 1086 to the VHT Pittbull they said it was fast attack and super tight unlike the recto. Does anyone else think that the Donnegan mod exhibits the pittbull voice?? that would be awesome. still waiting on the Lynch mods ,im curious to see if they will sounds like exsisting mods again I heard that the SCARY was like an SL+ with cap mod and a wider sweep in the mid control ,should be ineresting.

Cheers
S

Does anyone know what kind of cap resistor is on the 1086? Is it the .001uF ?

Hello everyone,
For those who have and use the 1086 module, I was just wondering: do you tend to use module with the mid-voicing switch to the left or to the right? Also, do you find that the two mid voicings are noticeably different from one another, or do you find that having the mid knob on 10 with the mid voicing switch to the left is the same as have the mid knob scooped out to 0 with the mid voicing switch to the right (one is just a continuation of the other)? Your findings would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Distortoman

I just got a 1086 myself, and it's nice to FINALLY hear a module that sounds TRULY different from the rest!

Even witht the mids flat, the voicing switch drasitcally changes the sound.
I only played around with High gain so far and this is what I found: Voicing to the left is kinda Rectifier sounding, to the RIght is more Marshally sounding.

I compared the 1086 to my modded recto module with the voicing switch to the left and while it's certianly it's own thing, I'm not getting rid of my recto. The 1086 is a little more forward and modern in the mids and is an awesome tone for sure. The Recto has more of a lower mid grunt going on with that manic, psychotic moan going on that is signature recto if you know what I mean.

It really depends on what you're playing and the tone you're going for to determine which is more approriate, and having two DISTINCT excellent flavors makes me VERY happy.

I haven't put in enough time to compare the 1086 to my modules in the marshall camp, so I won't get into details there.

I agree, the 1086 and Recto are voiced differently but both are very useful.

I have a 1086 and I used to have a Peavey JSX (which I understand is similar to the 5150/XXX). Anyway, the 1086 isn't really that sound. It's good, and gets heavy, but it's not the same. I'm hoping the Ultra XL will be "that" sound, but have yet to hear it.

Hey, thats cool, i heard the 1086 is really good and i wanna hear some more sound clips and some sound clips of the ultra xl too. I was also thinking if i got the 1086, i would add the bbe sonic stomp to it to fatten it up and make it a lot more clearer, im thinking that might help to get the 5150 type sound, plus it has so much versatility.

muskpsmesane said:
Hey, thats cool, i heard the 1086 is really good and i wanna hear some more sound clips and some sound clips of the ultra xl too. I was also thinking if i got the 1086, i would add the bbe sonic stomp to it to fatten it up and make it a lot more clearer, im thinking that might help to get the 5150 type sound, plus it has so much versatility.

Personally I think the 1086 is one of the most up front and clear (yet full) modules of the bunch.

I've never thought BBE ever sounded good on guitar. Cleans maybe, but dirt? No way! Even though I own one from back in the day (It's not worth enough to sell, and every once and a blue moon can come through), I've grown to hate the BBE sound. I like my mids in tact and my highs not messed with. The lo contour is like a muddy bass boost IME.

Might just be me, sometimes it works but most times not. Only if what's there is so muddy and I've got nothing to lose by trying it do I ever do so.

My $.02 :wink:

Alot of people have the bbe sonic stomp, does that mean that the density and prescence knobs on the head itself doesnt do enough for it and the sonic stomp makes it sound much better. Cause i was planning on buying my head, 1086 and sonic stomp together but should i try out the head by itself first? and if i need the sonic stomp, do yall turn your presence and density knobs all the way down and just use the sonic stomp?

Good question. I wondered the same thing.

The Sonic Stomp and the density/presence work TOGETHER. I have my D/P set around 4:00-6:00 and the SS is set at 6:00 and 7:00.

The SS works wonders, but only if used in the efx loop. Don't waste your time running it into the front of the amp - no matter what the manual says.

Cool, yeah im looking for the metallica black album kinda tone. Hope ill be able to get that out of the 1086. I really wanna still check out the ultra xl and get some clips.

I always thought that the trick to hitting James Hetfeild's tone in the Justice/Black Album era was in EMG 60 pickups. I have a couple of guitars loaded with EMG 60's and they always seem to get the best results