KT88 Powertube Brands Recomendations

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.G

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of experimenting with tubes in the power section and wanted to hear which brands you trust when it comes down to KT88 in your modular amps.
I read a lot about biasing and the tone of KT88 in general in this forum but not a lot about different brands and how they harmonize with the rm20/50/100.
I heard that JJ tend to get boomy as they have to much bass??? What about EH, Ruby, GT, others???

thanks for any input!

The JJ KT88 is actually my least favorite of the bunch. The EH KT88 is by far my favorite and a great bang for the buck. They are one of my 3 favorite tubes and the only KT88 I actively recommend.

Hope that helps,
Rob

I have only used the Groove Tube KT88 "C2" (Chinese) I was lucky enough to get two NOS quads at a really good price from a retailer- They are ridiculously expensive where Ive seen them for sale recently- Those to me, are perfect. Like mentioned before, super clean power- tight low end (never flubby or boomy) and highs are amazing. They are like big EL34's but play just a tad stiffer. I cant say enough. To Rob's point- The EH's are VERY reasonable. I'm going to give those a try next. I'd also like the give the Winged C's a try if I could find some at a good price since those are the best EL34's I've ever played. I would imagine the KT88's are good too.