Epiphone Les Paul

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive been shopping around on varius sites looking at new and used Epi Les Pauls, I have played a couple of Very nice and very expensive real gibson les pauls. I can afford to get one but i have a couple concerns whicch model of the epi les paul has the best nice neck im coming from a jackson/charvel world of skinny fast necks. Ive read that the LP nightfall has a very good neck on it.. But i dont know too much about them, any suggestions?
-mp-
I also plan of putting a set of alnico II's in it for that slash grind

I only have experience with an Epi LP Custom with a background on Ibanez and Jackson necks
As far as playability, the neck is a lot chunkier than an RG/Fusion, a little more than a Charvel San Dimas Reissue and RR1,
and those tiny frets take a little getting used to
TOM takes some getting used to in palmmutes when coming off floyds exclusively, but it's higher action was no problem

As for the quality: that left a lot to be desired, lousy paint, bad p'ups, very lousy brigde (the unwound strings were starting to cut into the saddles)
I've turned it into a project guitar, perhaps even a refin

The APII's I threw in there OTOH are absolutely wonderful p'ups
You're damned right in thinking 'grind', these things literally Rock!

Dude...I just got my hands on an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus. Look into it man. Highest quality Epi ever on the market. It comes standard with an ACTUAL maple top, Gibson USA Classic 57's, series/parallel push-pull knobs (both tone knobs), locking tuners, Mallory caps, the works!!! I'm not plugging the brand at all nor do I work for any music whatever-have-you. I'm just saying, you want an Epi LP, that's the one to grab. Freal. It's just over half the price if an introductory Gibson, with twice the upgrades and appointments. Here's a link I posted not too long ago when I first got mine.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=16748

As for the neck....I'm not sure how much the transition is going to be, but there's simply a difference that I guess would be unavoidable from such a different guitar.

I have played and owned many different Epi Pauls and I havent found one with the neck profile you speak of. That would be a cool find though.

Be careful of those LP's... always been a Fender player and thought the Gibson necks felt awkward. Bought a LP Trad Pro goldtop 3 years ago and now have to dust off the Strat on occasion. Never gets played anymore!

I have the Epi '59 Gold Top & the neck is definately something diffrent from the Jackson Speed necks I am accustomed to. he Tune-O-Matic is a little wierd as well when switching between it & the Jacksons. With all that said it is a nice guitar. I think the 24.75 scale F's me up more than the "meaty" neck. :lol: But I adjust. I also don't use it for the same stuff as the Jacksons. The Epi is for more mellow stuff, blues, to raunchy rock type stuff.
I have yet to find or play an Epi (or Gibson) LP that has a neck profile more inline with a Jackson. You could always buy used & then possibly shave/sculpt the neck maybe. Not sure how much that might affect the possibility of the neck warping though.