Noise in Modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roodyrocker

Reaction score
Currently running my RM100 with these 3 modules: XTC, Plexi, and Blackface. I really like the XTC but it does make more noise than the others in the form of a "Shshshshs" sound when not playing. I understand its a higher gain module but is it normally this much noiser than the others? Well, the blackface is clean so that I can understand. Just wondering? BTW, it dos this even with the Hush pedal on and my guitar volume all the way down so I'm thinking its just the module.

I don't remember my exact settings but I know they're nothing extreme. bass/middle/treble are all in the 11:00 to 1:00 o'clock range, gain around 1:00 to 3:00 o'clock, volume around 1:00 o'clock and bright switch off. My Plexi module has similar settings and is more quiet than my XTC.

roodyrocker said:
I don't remember my exact settings but I know they're nothing extreme. bass/middle/treble are all in the 11:00 to 1:00 o'clock range, gain around 1:00 to 3:00 o'clock, volume around 1:00 o'clock and bright switch off. My Plexi module has similar settings and is more quiet than my XTC.

The XTC has significantly higher gain at the same settings as the Plexi module. This might be why it is noisier.

I understand that the XTC has more gain than my other modules currently in the amp but I still didn't think my settings were extreme enough to cause the background noise.

This is a problem inherent to some of the modules. I noticed it in the XTC and Ultra modules. Not sure what to do about it... althogh when I switch to my rack setup I plan on buying a rackmounted ISP Decimator G which has a noise suppressor for the amp effects loop (removes background noise) AND a noise suppressort for the guitar going in! :) Hopefully that might help... it's cool stuff just kinda expensive!

Well, this Saturday my RM100 head loaded with 3 modules will be playing out a gig 8) We'll see how it does live. XTC is going to be my main distortion sound and Blackface for the cleans. In between songs I may just have to switch the XTC off if its noisy then go back on to play. I already run a Rocktron Hush pedal through the front end. Its the older 2 button Hush pedal, great unit btw.

guitarguy510 said:
This is a problem inherent to some of the modules. I noticed it in the XTC and Ultra modules. Not sure what to do about it... althogh when I switch to my rack setup I plan on buying a rackmounted ISP Decimator G which has a noise suppressor for the amp effects loop (removes background noise) AND a noise suppressort for the guitar going in! :) Hopefully that might help... it's cool stuff just kinda expensive!

That's totally unnecessary though. You could simply put the gate between the preamp and power amp, and solve all of your guitar/preamp noise problems.

It's not "totally unnecessary" in my case, as the module itself makes noise, but I also use high output pickups (set of EMG-81s and a custom wound set in my PRS) with my high gain modules. :) If he REALLY wants to get rid of noise AND feedback, this way would work.

I'm not experiencing any feedback, just the low level "Shshshshsh" sound. For tomorrow's gig I'll be kicking the footswitch to a different channel in between songs. My Hush pedal is in between the guitar and amp input.

guitarguy510 said:
It's not "totally unnecessary" in my case, as the module itself makes noise, but I also use high output pickups (set of EMG-81s and a custom wound set in my PRS) with my high gain modules. :) If he REALLY wants to get rid of noise AND feedback, this way would work.

Again, there's no reason to do that. A single gate after the preamp will take care of guitar, module, loop, and preamp noise. You don't need a bunch of gates running.

There's nothing uniquely high output about EMGs or the Randall high gain modules. Yes, you're going to get some noise...that's what happens with that much gain. A gate post-preamp will take care of it.

Hey, this is Tim from Louisville, Ky, how's it goin'?

I just recently purchased the Randall RT2/50, the RM4 with the Blackface, Plexi, Rectified and XTC modules. I am having unusual noise with the plexi, Rec and especially with the XTC, it's weird. I've been playing for 23 years and used almost every high gain amp you can think of and I've never had noise issues like this. WHY?!!!!

I've got a noise gate on it now but changing between the clean and dirty channels is a ***** because you have to turn the noise gate off on the clean. And held notes and fade outs are messed with... you know when the gate is trying to close.

I saw the post reply about putting a gate between the preamp and amp. Will this solve my problem or will I still run across the clean/dirty and fade issues?

HELP! Thanks! (other than the noise the **** sounds great!)

Sixstringhotshot said:
Again, there's no reason to do that. A single gate after the preamp will take care of guitar, module, loop, and preamp noise. You don't need a bunch of gates running.

Ah, but that's the beauty of the ProrackG you see. You set the threshold for the first gate to the clean sound coming directly from the guitar, which in turn triggers the gate after the preamp. This way it doesn't matter whether you're playing a heavily distorted or a soft clean sound. With a "normal" gate after preamp only you'll very likely experience that settings for a distorted sound will kill tails on clean sounds.

Hey Tim, I use one of the older Hush, The Pedal units and it has two noise gates with two different threshold settings on it as well as a switch to flip between A and B. So I have my noise gate settings for the distortion sound set on A and for cleans on B. This way I don't run into the problem you're describing, I just click the Hush Pedal onto B for my clean sound. You can find these pedals on E-Bay for $60-75 and they are built very solid (metal). Hope that helps, I hate when noise gates cut off my sound!