Amp Testing - 5150 III, Nitro, Quickrod vs RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob's Quickmod nailed the Quickrod. Actually have yet to hear a replica get that close. Nails the super fast attack. That said the Nitro is a bit different animal. Darker, more gain. Quickrod is more hot rodded Marshall. Problem was that the Quickrod had the better eq and low end (vs nitro) but lacked the gain FOR ME.

However the Nitro had more gain and snarl. BUT..the low end on the Nitro was too challenging to dial in and control. With KT88's the whole room was just saturated with lows and drowning out the overall tone of the amp. When we dial the lows down it gets too anemic. We couldn't find a happy medium. If I bought Nitro I would try one with EL34's first.

After reading many reviews and speaking to the owner of Splawn himself it appears 2012 models are much improved. The Nitro is supposedly darker and smoother which I don't think I would like. However the Quickrod has more gain and improved lows they say. A lot of guys are saying the new Quickrod can now be dialed in very close to get more gain and snarl like the Nitro but the Nitro cannot do what a Quickrod does.

Bottom line, I'd take Rob's Quickmod over any Splawn pre-2012. Post 2012, if you are dying for a new amp I would look at the Quickrod.

If you don't have a bass player buy a Nitro with KT88's :D

A buddy of ours has a brand new custom Quickrod shipping direct from Splawn this week. Once we check it out, we will report back.

Great reviews.

Just curious what cab and speakers were you guys using?

I'm not planning on selling my MTS stuff, but I have grown kind of bored of it lately and have been really curious about the 5153s.

No stores that I know of around here stock one to try.

I asked someone who owns both the head and the cab what they thought about the amp and they said that the head sounds best with the matching cab and suggested getting both.

I know the cabs are SLIGHTLY oversized, but maybe those custom Celestion EVH's help with the low end?

tdevil_666 said:
Great reviews.

I'm not planning on selling my MTS stuff, but I have grown kind of bored of it lately and have been really curious about the 5153s.

I asked someone who owns both the head and the cab what they thought about the amp and they said that the head sounds best with the matching cab and suggested getting both.

I know the cabs are SLIGHTLY oversized, but maybe those custom Celestion EVH's help with the low end?

I have an EVH 412 and the speaker's don't help with low end. They're crystal clear sounding, but bottom end is seriously lacking. Recently I bought a Mesa 2x12 cab with V30's and that has helped get the low end the EVH's didn't have.

The Rossness said:
tdevil_666 said:
Great reviews.

I have an EVH 412 and the speaker's don't help with low end. They're crystal clear sounding, but bottom end is seriously lacking. Recently I bought a Mesa 2x12 cab with V30's and that has helped get the low end the EVH's didn't have.

I previously used two Mesa Recto (oversized) 4x12's and was very happy with them. Had them for years and didnt even consider a change- They had V30's- Then I got a line on two Randall XL 4x12's with the 100 watt celestions (got them at wholesale/endorsee price brand new)- I got to A/B them before I bought them- bottom line- I sold the Mesa cabs within days. The low end and clarity was MUCH better- I didnt realize how much the V30's "color the tone and how raspy the high end was until I got a chance to compare them side by side . The XL's just give a clearer, tighter and punchier tone and probably a better representation of what the modules should sound like. I think it has more to do with the speakers- Those Mesa's seemed to be built better, slightly larger and were killer cabs but my RM100 sounds way better now.

tdevil_666 said:
Great reviews.

So Big Daddy hated the 5153. I still love it for the mids. If you are used to lots of thick density and lows you will not get it in the 5153. The logic is then to consider the 50watt version that has a density right? WRONG. That amp ZERO low end unless you use the density. I spoke with an engineer at the factory and he said there is no plan to add additional density or lows to the 100 watt because it's not what Eddie wants. You would think sales is more important than Eddie's ego....or not.

That said a lot of guys are using them and loving them. I would say a prime example of what the amp actually sounds like is what you here on the right channel of your speakers when listening to the 2nd Dark New Day CD. The guys in Killswitch and many other Metal bands use them but what I hear on tape doesn't match what I hear in the room like the DND stuff. Also the Sevendust record was recorded in full with a bone stock 100 watt version. There are some early release clips out there to listen to as well. I will also say that when I saw 7D live at their sound check last year I was side stage and heard them. The amp did lack lows but was so devastating and had so much concussion it actually made up for the lack of lows a bit.

As for you cab question I'm using a Standard size Mesa Straight with V30's. We also tried a Marshall 1960 slant with 75's. The Mesa was better in my opinion. Both cabs have also been rewired with high end Voodoo amps speaker cable. I think the EVH cabs have Eddie's signature model Greenbacks.I can see how that combo would work well

I still think i'd like to own a 5153 for my collection. It would surely cut in a mix. I just don't think it's right for our current project. If i did get one i would wait until they added more lows or get it modded for more lows. I will also tell you I would not pay more than $1000 for one used. Also be careful of the first 500 made they had serious issues because of a design flaw Eddie insisted on that caused half of them to die or blow up.

Lastly, the 50 watter has a **** ton more gain but it's very buzzy fuzzy fyi.

rblyn said:
The Rossness said:
tdevil_666 said:
Great reviews.

I previously used two Mesa Recto (oversized) 4x12's and was very happy with them. Had them for years and didnt even consider a change- They had V30's- Then I got a line on two Randall XL 4x12's with the 100 watt celestions (got them at wholesale/endorsee price brand new)- I got to A/B them before I bought them- bottom line- I sold the Mesa cabs within days. The low end and clarity was MUCH better- I didnt realize how much the V30's "color the tone and how raspy the high end was until I got a chance to compare them side by side . The XL's just give a clearer, tighter and punchier tone and probably a better representation of what the modules should sound like. I think it has more to do with the speakers- Those Mesa's seemed to be built better, slightly larger and were killer cabs but my RM100 sounds way better now.

I agree with you on the highs. That's vintage 30's for ya. I ran a stereo through mine for weeks while at work to break in but some of it is still there. I have been through speakers tests like crazy but at the end of the day i was burnt on it. Bottom line there is a reason 80% of the heavy players I like play though them. So i just went with it.

LoD21 said:
Steel City Psycho said:
Great reviews.

So Big Daddy hated the 5153. I still love it for the mids. If you are used to lots of thick density and lows you will not get it in the 5153. The logic is then to consider the 50watt version that has a density right? WRONG. That amp ZERO low end unless you use the density. I spoke with an engineer at the factory and he said there is no plan to add additional density or lows to the 100 watt because it's not what Eddie wants. You would think sales is more important than Eddie's ego....or not.

That said a lot of guys are using them and loving them. I would say a prime example of what the amp actually sounds like is what you here on the right channel of your speakers when listening to the 2nd Dark New Day CD. The guys in Killswitch and many other Metal bands use them but what I hear on tape doesn't match what I hear in the room like the DND stuff. Also the Sevendust record was recorded in full with a bone stock 100 watt version. There are some early release clips out there to listen to as well. I will also say that when I saw 7D live at their sound check last year I was side stage and heard them. The amp did lack lows but was so devastating and had so much concussion it actually made up for the lack of lows a bit.

As for you cab question I'm using a Standard size Mesa Straight with V30's. We also tried a Marshall 1960 slant with 75's. The Mesa was better in my opinion. Both cabs have also been rewired with high end Voodoo amps speaker cable. I think the EVH cabs have Eddie's signature model Greenbacks.I can see how that combo would work well

I still think i'd like to own a 5153 for my collection. It would surely cut in a mix. I just don't think it's right for our current project. If i did get one i would wait until they added more lows or get it modded for more lows. I will also tell you I would not pay more than $1000 for one used. Also be careful of the first 500 made they had serious issues because of a design flaw Eddie insisted on that caused half of them to die or blow up.

Lastly, the 50 watter has a s*&t ton more gain but it's very buzzy fuzzy fyi.

Thanks for the info,

I have Lynch Box cabs with Super V's and Randall XXL cabs with V30-G12T75s X-ed, so those may add some, but I think I'll have to definitely wait and see if I can try one out first.

If you are looking for nice lows then you may want to give the 'other guys' a try. My Redstar cabs are built in a similar fashion, although they are a better build, than my buddy's oversized recto cabs. The Eminence Legend V128s / Swamp Thangs in an X pattern blow the V30s in his cab out of the water. I have a pair of Texas Heats that I can swap in with the ST if I dont want the sound as dark, these are the ones used in the Krankenstein+ cabs and a pretty close to the ST. THe V128 is very close to the Legends in the Emperor cabs. I would love to get a pair of Super Vs in place of the Legends too.

Totenkampf said:
If you are looking for nice lows then you may want to give the 'other guys' a try. My Redstar cabs are built in a similar fashion, although they are a better build, than my buddy's oversized recto cabs. The Eminence Legend V128s / Swamp Thangs in an X pattern blow the V30s in his cab out of the water. I have a pair of Texas Heats that I can swap in with the ST if I dont want the sound as dark, these are the ones used in the Krankenstein+ cabs and a pretty close to the ST. THe V128 is very close to the Legends in the Emperor cabs. I would love to get a pair of Super Vs in place of the Legends too.

I love the Lynch Cabs with the Super V's, I haven't played through the XXL cabs since I bought my first Lynch cab almost 4 years ago :roll: :lol:

I have never liked the V-30's or G12T-75's by themselves, V-30's are too ice picky and G12T-75's are too muffled sounding, so I was hoping to compensate by X-ing them, but after hearing the Lynch cabs there was no looking back.

I have been meaning to fill the 2 XXLs with Eminence speakers since I got the Lynch cabs, but keep buying guitars instead :lol:

I originally wanted to stay with the Super V's to see how they sounded in an unported cab, but now since they have been discontinued I'm thinking about the Texas Heats, or maybe Wizards...

Nice to see these eminence speakers getting some love. I currently have 2 of the Krank rev 1x12's. one with a v12, the other with a swamp thang. Sound huge, just huge. As said a little dark, but so punchy and crisp. Def. a different variety from the v30/75 combo in my Marshall cab. But I still bow down to the lynch cab with super v's, that is my go to cab now. I had no idea it would sound that amazing for metal before owning one. Glad to see other are enjoying it as much as me. Lynch cabs with the super v's are amazing!