The old Tube vs Solid state power amp question.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b1_3000

Reaction score
Hey guys looking to hear some opinions on which amp I should use to for the Rm4.

Basically I can't split tube and solid state because I love things about both.

My mate bangs on about tubes being great and he is right, they are really nice for clean and lead tones but at low volume for practicing they really lack. The solid state is great for that accurate attack in heavy rhythm but if I got one would I regret it and get cut out by the other guitarist?

Cheers.

I currently use a Samson Servo power amp for my RM4. I do believe it may lack in options and tone in comparison to a tube power amp. The reasons you have for SS are dead on. I am not burning up pricey power tubes while practicing at bedroom levels either. So reliability plays a big factor there too. I have my RM50s when I want full tube and can even run my RM4 into the effects loop input to have 6 channels if desired. As cheap as solids are it doesnt hurt the wallet either thus allowing you to save up for the tube driven cousin.

One of the things I love about the RM4 and other rack mount pres is the ability to use different power amps. For lower volume and power practice, my Tubeworks MosValve MV-962 does just fine. Lots of non-tube options out there these days, such as the Matrix stuff.

Try as many options as you can, close your eyes and if it feels and sounds good to you, keep it :D

Nikki beat me to it..
try some MosFet amps..you may find the best of both Worlds there.

The Tube works MV-962 are always around...used they can be had at a good price..I used one years ago..and it never failed me....but I am a tube guy...spongey and expensive..I love them to much to evergo back..but thats me..and I am a bit old school so...my best advice is find some MOS FET power amps and give em a try.The tend to be kinda warm, but still a faster attack than tubes...and lighter and cheaper,usually.
GtrGeorge

I have an old Hafler/Digitech G300 that I've run my RM50Cs' preamps into on occasion. It's loud, bright, and clear, but also cold, sterile, and extremely unforgiving. As a result, I wouldn't consider using it for anything other than crystal cleans or tight metal rhythms.

It works much better when hooked up through the Randall's slave-out jack and used as a pure volume boost. In this configuration, it's amplifying the signal after the power section, so the tube warmth and "squish" remain intact.

If you like SS and Tube..maybe buy a WARHEAD amp.
Its both, and people who want both seem to like it.

GtrGeorge

Hey dont knock the warhead... ive got a Warhead Straight cab loaded with vintage 30's that is killer.. But the warhead head pales in comparison next to the rm100.
-mp-

Latest posts