Modded module comparison

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman5150

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions. Im new back to the MTs world. I was into it yrs ago when they came out before all the mods but then moved away. But recently picked up an rm20 and am gettin back into it. Just curious on peoples opinion of how the similar mods compare, like a JF vs salvation vs voodoo mark series mod, or marshall etc. just curious which come the closest.

Unless you tried every module using the same amp and guitar ect.. How would you know? Plus most gear related talk is someone else's opinion. Someone thinks a salvation module nails a certain tone and then another will say it's missing something. So many variables involved. I like el34's but you have el84's so what sounds good to me will sound different to you. I only have had 3 or 4 modded modules and I can tell you they have all sounded great in there own way. I don't think any modded module will sound bad, just that it might not be what you want out of it. Try as many as you can they are all good.

I am not sure if it is my GAS or what, but my rationalization for a bunch of modules is that I play enough different styles and I need a lot of different tones. I could never settle for one or two. That is why we have MTS. I do know that most of the stockers were lacking and then the modders open them up.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the response. And yes, I know its all subjective to each persons ear and gear. Just was kinda looking to hear what everyone seems to have work best for them and why. I definitely plan on trying as many as possible, as my bank account will allow ;-)

There was a thread a while back about one's desert island mod or something like that. You might want to check that out. If I were to have to pick one clean and one mid - high gain mod, it would be Jaded Faith's Deluxe base mod and maybe the 59RR, although I might give a different answer tomorrow. The cool thing about the deluxe is that you can buy a stock deluxe, blackface, etc. for $80-100 and the mod is another $100. It is nice and clean and can also get a little gritty if you want. The 59RR does a bunch of Marshall tones that are way cool, but I also like the OD.

They vary based on the modders ears. However, they all capture the essence of the original. My 6 modules complement each other very nicely in the studio, when I want to stack guitars or get the essence of a particular brand of amp. The only thing is...these things are pretty spot on!

In comparing a JF to a Salvo, I can say that JF sounds more present, kinda like an in your face amp, and the Salvo sounds polished, like a production-ready sound. One is not better than the other, just comes down to personal preference.

There are too many modules to compare them all. As far as the modder's go, these are my basic opinions-

Salvation- I've had about 15 salvo mods over the years. I seem to like Salvo's the most. They sound very close to the actual amps they're modeling. While some of them haven't been my cup o' tea (Mash-all), many of them are fantastic stuff. I think a Masholdano might be in my future. The downside to Salvation mods are the wait time, cost and addiction to the mighty fine modules Salvo offers.
My all-time favorite salvo mod is an early Custom 3.

Jaded Faith- I've had 5 JF mods. As you may well be aware, Rob is an active member on the forum and tries to answer questions about his work as best he can. For a customer based in the USA like me, the wait times to get a module aren't comparable to Salvation. Rob might take a month and Anthony might take 3 or 4 to get an order done. Also, his prices are a bit less and shipping to and from is simple and quick. The JF mods I've played are impressive and have lots of tonal options. I think rob does "touch sensitivity" a bit better than Salvation. Rob's modules sound like modded amps, instead of "it sounds like the stock amp". He also has some clean modules which are unique in the MTS community.
My favorite JF module is the Plexi/Tweed. It takes dirt pedals like its nobody's business when set clean and can do RHCP to Thin Lizzy Tones. =)

Friedman- I've had 2 Friedman Brown Eye mods. For my taste, I had to run my Power amp tubes very hot to get the module to sound good, which threw the other mods I was using out of whack. If your name is George Lynch you're a Friedman Fanatic... if its Rossness... um... you're not ;)

Voodoo- Ive done 1 custom mod with Trace (based on Third Eye Blind's debuet album) and got a plexi module in a trade. Trace was a great guy to work with and his turnaround time was about 2 weeks. Trace also does "touch sensitivity" very well. His modules are more basic and have less tweaker switches, but that makes me work with the EQ a bit more. Voodoo mods also have an interior gain trim pot to add more are less gain depending on how you want the module to feel. As far as prices go, he is very reasonable.
I'm split as to which one is my favorite, the 3EB module is unique and the plexi module has great Crunch for 60's-70's pop-rock.

Sacred Groove- I have 2 base mods sitting with Scott at SG waiting for them to be turned into a Bully and Afterlife. I'd love for my mods to be finished soon, but Scott only mods modules in his spare time, so wait times are long (at least that's what I think). When I get my modules back I can better report on how I feel his work stacks up. I can however say that many people love his MK22 which is based on a Marshall JMP.

GigMods- I've never had a GM module. Pete was one of the first guys to start modding MTS modules. While he doesn't modify MTS stuff anymore, his work occasionally pops up in the classifieds.

As far as how the modders stack up- I think JF and Salvo are on the same level. They each do things differently and very well. . If you want one great tone, with less tweakability, check out what Trace @ voodoo offers. I can't yet comment on SG. Tghe only modded module I was ever disappointed with was the Friedman Brown Eye.

As for stock modules, I feel the good ones are the Lynch mods (Grail, Scary, SuperV, GTO), SL+, and Plexi. The worst stockers are the Blackface and Brown.

As perhaps Rob's biggest fan, I feel I need to clarify one thing: the comment was made that Rob's amps sound like modded amps.
that may be true for some of his mods, as I have never owned a real XTC or a Dumble. However, I have owned Deluxes and Tweeds and if you send Rob a stock Deluxe (which never really sounded right) and have the base mod done on it, it will then sound like a Deluxe. Same with the Tweed. And for $100 it is an incredible deal. I will add that you have to pay extra if you want a cool face plate.

The Rossness has it on the head.
I got the 3EB mod from trace, it is very unique module, hard to describe, but cleans up great and sounds great.

wesarvin said:
They vary based on the modders ears. However, they all capture the essence of the original. My 6 modules complement each other very nicely in the studio, when I want to stack guitars or get the essence of a particular brand of amp. The only thing is...these things are pretty spot on!

In comparing a JF to a Salvo, I can say that JF sounds more present, kinda like an in your face amp, and the Salvo sounds polished, like a production-ready sound. One is not better than the other, just comes down to personal preference.

This is a great explanation! I agree 100% JF has a bit balls and seem to work better for me for live purposes. I could see where the Salvo's would track really well in the studio. I also found that Trace's Voodoo mods track excellent as well and are very "smooth".

I love Rob's stuff, I own 20 mods, and they're all JF. Not taking anything away from any of the other modders, because they all do great work. These sound and FEEL like the amps they're modded after, and most are also dead quiet, which is something I can't say for the "others". It took me time and money to figure out what works for ME, that's kind of the way it goes with MTS....it's a disease....

I gotta say from youre responses, it goes along with what i was kinda thinking from the clips on their respective sites. Salv sounds more smooth and almost "produced". Whereas the JF are more of a live in your face amp, which is what I look for. Thanks again for all the input!

ricky said:
As perhaps Rob's biggest fan, I feel I need to clarify one thing: the comment was made that Rob's amps sound like modded amps.
that may be true for some of his mods, as I have never owned a real XTC or a Dumble. However, I have owned Deluxes and Tweeds and if you send Rob a stock Deluxe (which never really sounded right) and have the base mod done on it, it will then sound like a Deluxe. Same with the Tweed. And for $100 it is an incredible deal. I will add that you have to pay extra if you want a cool face plate.

The ODS was one of the "Unique" mods I was talking about. The same thing goes with Rob's Super clean.

Im a JF guy too I own one Salvation mod, an Angel B which happens to be the best high gain module ive ever heard but for other tones JF's mods just seem to really nail the tones they are designed to emulate a little more than what ive heard of other salvatrion mods.
-mp-

hmic10 said:
The Rossness has it on the head.
I got the 3EB mod from trace, it is very unique module, hard to describe, but cleans up great and sounds great.

With the gain cranked, Its a punchy JCM800 kind of tone. With the gain dialed way back, it has elements of Marshall grit, Vox chime and Fender clarity.

Latest posts