JF OD special, clean?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman5150

Reaction score
I know its not completely designed for it, but i was curious as to how clean this module can get? Ive got a stock blackface that im considering having this done to, but i need it to be able to be used as a clean tone too. Any experience?

It can, but IMO can't do clean that well like other modules... Some disagree, heres a sample:

https://soundcloud.com/gigarent/od-clean

Gain at around 7.5-8 o'clock.

I think it has pretty good cleans. Definitely usable for sure. If I was only interested in cleans, I would go for the Vybe Deluxe for fender cleans or the Super Clean for Roland Jazz Chorus sorta cleans. But I do use my OD Special regularly for cleans as well as overdriven tones. I like the pushed cleans from it. It cleans up well with the volume knob on your guitar as well.

Ok. The reason i ask is because i definitely want an Od special, and i have a blackface id be willing to use for a donor. BUT i use my rm20 as my live backup to my mesa lonestar (just clean for pedals). So it would be just as a last resort kinda need.

The real strength is in the gainy touchy sensitive lead playing, but lower the gain and boost the volume and it gets clean enough for most applications

Here's a clip I made last year that (besides bass) is all JF OD
This includes the weird keyboard-ish sounds in the beginning- I used the JFOD clean into fx
at 1:33 it gets the wah clean on rhythms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqk6sVGOMWY

There are some demos on JF's website, those Jazzy cleans are all done with the OD special (Duke Ellington Demo).

IMO it has the most awesome clean tone, really beautiful and complex, just magic with the neck pickup! It's warm and cozy sounding, not scooped or trebly.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably do this in a dual mod because it's hard to choose between the clean and gorgeous overdrive this thing gets.

When the final revision was made way back around the 10th ODS shipped (all of the modules prior to this have been revised) the left side of the Boost switch was made to be cleaner than originally designed. The touch sensitivity of this mod is off the charts and that makes for a very unique clean tone. It really excels at being able to balance very low gain settings with the volume knob when you do dial it in clean, making it quite useful. I often use it as a clean module when I use a 2-channel head and I can hit it with an OD for an even broader range of tones.

Rob