Received my JF-Voxless

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
I recently made a trade for a JF Voxless and I am loving this thing more than I could have possibly imagined. It came with a pair of Sovtek tubes that were making it break up too soon for me. I put an EH 12AY7 in V1 and a Groove Tube in V2. This worked perfectly. It lowered the input gain and warmed it up very well. It was sounding good in my EL34 amp, but when I loaded it in to my 6L6 amp this thing just came to life! Excellent clean tones and thick, cutting low and mid gain tones. Just bad ***! I loaded my JF Rverb in to my EL34 amp and had a blast playing these in stereo! They complemented each other so well. If someone had told me 3 weeks ago that my main rhythm tones would be an Orange and a Vox I would have laughed at them! I am SO glad I took a chance on these two.
My JF XTC and SG MK22 are my rock/metal tones now. I'm happier than I have ever been with my MTS tones. Can't wait for my JF Texas Special now!

I love my Voxless as well, especially the DC side, a really versatile mod that goes from spanky clean all the way to some pretty serious drive if you want it. It's one of the few mods that really makes me wish I had a dual channel version, so I could flick between the two modes.

I put an EH 12AY7 in V1 and a Groove Tube in V2. This worked perfectly. It lowered the input gain and warmed it up very well.

Sweetness! I'm going to have to try this when I get home for sure. The voxless was my first non-stock mod and it will stay in my collection forever.
I always thought 6L6s were "cold" sounding but I'll try that as well. I use the yellow jackets and EL84s with my MOD50 and it nails some classic VOX tones!

Here is what I use it for: With the right settings on the VOX side and a strat/tele, you can get the brad paisley country sound and the Brian May queen sound, super awesome!

The DC side is awesome too, with the mid switch full-on, it has a really classic sounding overdrive that just sings.

I'm glad you like the Voxless as much as I do!

IMHO, when it comes to great rhythym playing less gain is in order.
Jimi was a great rhythym player (wind cries Mary etc)...and its all low gain!
I often use an Orange OR129 clone for rhythym gits....sounds really good with low gain.
GtrGeorge

I love this thing so much I'm buying a second one! One will be used as a clean channel and the other as a mid-gain channel. I can't believe it took my idiot *** so long to try one of these! :roll:

I think it's honestly my personal favorite as well. It's lived in my studio nonstop for the entire recording of our next album. It does everything.

audiomidijace said:
I love this thing so much I'm buying a second one! One will be used as a clean channel and the other as a mid-gain channel. I can't believe it took my idiot *** so long to try one of these! :roll:
Go you!!! It is a great mod. Having more than one just has to be better.
There are so many tones on tap and switching on the fly is time
consuming and tough. My fault with that mod is I played with switches
too much. :lol: I wouldnt mind one day having a Less mod and a Vox
mod so I could pedal switch more and finger switch less.

After receiving a brand new Voxless as unit #2, I sent back my first Voxless to get updated. The difference is night and day! If you don't have the most current Voxless design, send it to Rob for the update. You'll be REALLY glad you did. Mine are both installed now and I couldn't be happier with them.

audiomidijace said:
After receiving a brand new Voxless as unit #2, I sent back my first Voxless to get updated. The difference is night and day! If you don't have the most current Voxless design, send it to Rob for the update. You'll be REALLY glad you did. Mine are both installed now and I couldn't be happier with them.

When you say "night and day" do you mean the tone changes or how it feels? Both? Just curious...I have an early model and am considering updating it..Thanks!

Hmmm. I may have to go with a dual Voxless. In discussion with Rob recently, he recommended this to give some variety, as I was thinking of getting a heavy Marshall tone to go with planned dual modules Quick Mod, SLOD100, & Brahma #39.

Hamner1 said:
Hmmm. I may have to go with a dual Voxless. In discussion with Rob recently, he recommended this to give some variety, as I was thinking of getting a heavy Marshall tone to go with planned dual modules Quick Mod, SLOD100, & Brahma #39.

Yeah, the Dual Voxless is pretty badass. It was WAY beyond my expectations.

Mattfig said:
audiomidijace said:

When you say "night and day" do you mean the tone changes or how it feels? Both? Just curious...I have an early model and am considering updating it..Thanks!

Both. The character remains the same, there is just more of it. Clearer, fuller, creamier. When I traded for a used Voxless I really liked it. When the new module came it made the old one sound like *** in comparison! Stop considering and update it!