Tube Experimentation

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trendkill1168

Reaction score
I've been messing around with trying different tubes in my RM100 specifically preamp tubes. Currently I have tried:

JJ ECC83S (12AX7's) - Matched Triode
JJ ECC83S's (12AX7's) - High Gain
I find these tubes very smooth and would probably work well with more of a classic rock type sound but to tell you the truth they seem to be lacking in the gain and bite department. I am currently running the matched triode versions I bought in my Clean module and they work well with it. I really have no use for the high gain ECC83S's and am not using them at all.

Shuguang - 12AX7's
These tubes came stock in my first generation Recto module. Seems to be a little more emphasis on the mids and highs and they are very rich with harmonics. I have since put them in my Ultra Lead and now that module screams with alot more sustain and has made it more suitable for leads.

Electro Harmonix - 12AX7's
All around these are my favorite preamp tubes. They seem to sound slightly compressed and seem to have the most gain except for the Shuguangs. My head came stock using them in both effects loop position but I noticed that my common input tube was running a JJ ECC83S. When you are running a channel you are really utilizing 3 preamp tubes at once. 2 tubes in your module and then the 1 common input tube inside the head covered underneath the aluminum can. The 2 that are towards the back side by side are for the effects loop and the one toward the front is your common input tube. I always thought my head should have sounded a bit heavier on the gain side and then I swapped out the JJ in the common input position to a Electro Harmonix 12AX7. This made a world of difference IMO. Tone sounds much better all around. Getting more gain, sustain, & harmonics. Bottom end is also tight with great note separation. I have to say that I am not a big fan of JJ preamp tubes. I love their power tubes though cuz I am currently using a quad of E34L's and they are nice and heavy with great bottom end.

Sovtek - 12AX7's
These tubes came stock in my Clean module and they are a little bright sounding. I have since swapped them out for the JJ ECC83S's with matched triodes. Module now sounds nice and smooth with the resistor mod.

Next thing I am going to do is start messing around with the power tubes. I would like to try 2 E34L's in the outer positions and 2 6L6's in the inner positions. Also would like to try out a quad of 6550's.