m13 LOUD HUMMM

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walshinator666

Reaction score
When I hook up my m13 to my rm4,the hum is soooo LOUD.I got a hum-x on the power supply.I have it hooked up(properly,I checked)using the 4cm method.When I switch to my lead channel(mamba s.e)the hum is so loud I can barely hear the effects.Does this happen to other m13 users?If so how are they fixing it?When I unhook the m13 and just use the rm4 and rt250 it's quiet again,so I know it's the m13.Please help,thanks.

is this the first time you've connected the m13 to the rm4 via the 4 cable method?

if not, did it do it before? was anything different?

does it do it on other high gain modules? or in a different slot?

you said you're using a line level shifter with the m13 that you had custom made. maybe you need one of the ones with the anti-hum built in? although i think ive read of people here that use the m13 without a shifter and they didnt seem to complain of hum

Flipping the ground contol button does NOT work.I got band practise tonight,i'll try putting far away from the racks and plugging into different outlet than my rack(saw this solution on a different site) let's see what happens.

Moving m13 far away from amp,connecting m13 to different outlet,still no help.Don't know what else to do.Please help,gig coming up on the 6th of Aprii.Would like to have m13 in working condition for show!

Did you still have the Hum-x connected when you flipped the ground switch on the RM4 and try it both ways? Do you notice any difference in the hum when you flip the switch? Is the hum present on both clean and dirty settings? Can you provide your signal chain?

I tried the hum-x in various positions,on the outlet>extension cord>amp.Tried ext.cord>hum-x>m13.>amp.My signal chain is guitar>wah pedal>m13(hooked up using 4cm)>parallel loop of rm4>rt2/50.Tried hooking into series loop,ground switch both positions for all attempted hook ups.Anyone that has an m13 hooked-up to their gear could let me know how theirs is connected and what they do I could surely use the help.Thanks
There's very little hum on my clean channel.The more gain,the more hum by the time I use my lead channel it's almost unbareable.BTW my rythem setting is bypassed on the m13 but still the hum is there.When I take the m13 out of the chain completely the hum disappears,so i've concluded that it's something with the m13 that is my problem.

Have you tried pluging everything into a single power strip. Try different outlets as well. Is there a dimmer in the room or old style computer monitor? The Wha is battery powered? You've tried taking the wha out of the signal path? I'm running out of things to try but there is a ground loop somewhere...

I appriciate your help,i've tried everything.At my house it does it,at the drummers house it does it.It doesn't do it as bad when I hook it up straight into my signal path guitar>wah>m13>amp input but the effects suck.Maybe I have to get a seperate linelevel shifter and plug it into my signal path(as before mentioned) but i'm putting more money into something that"might"work.I've spent as much money making it work as it would've cost to buy a gsp1101,which is what I should've gotten in the first place.

it seems it is a common issue.
http://line6.com/support/thread/8205

Do you have the problem with the M13 just in the loop (not 4CM)?

One guy in the thread above tried including the M13's noise gate in every patch which seemed to resolve the problem

Use a ground loop breaker box. The M13 makes lots of hum through alot of things. I bought one when I got my m13 years ago and it takes the hum out of everything. I use the M13 on my amps and I also have the rm4 and it makes it dead quite. It's a handy thing to have on hand all the time and I have used it on tons of stuff you would have never thought was ground hum and it turns out fixing everything.

can you specify which brand, model, or a similar one thats currently on the market? google search for "ground loop breaker box" returns 4 results and they're all from your posts

It's Ebtech. The same company that your HumX is made by. It's the Hum Eliminator and it goes in your cable signal. I have had good luck with them fixing hum in about everything. I never tried the HumX before so I'm not sure if breaker the ground at the wall is any different. I have a behringer box also that works the same way and was only like $24. The Ebtech though is way better quality and I think my signal is a little better sounding. The M13 always messes with your tone also. I run the screamer on the M13 for every gain module so you never notice. I'd drops your input signal down slightly but with the screamer on it doesn't matter. You can only tell if you were to compare tone of just the amp with no m13 plugged in then hoop up the m13 4cm and you can tell the amp has slightly less balls because it seems like the input signal is just slightly less. Also, you have the sections of the m13 set up right in the settings? Make sure you have effects that go in the loop routed to the loop and not everything set to the pre loop. I use row 1 &2 to go pre and loop 3&4 for effects in the loop.

ok cool. maybe your input drops with the screamer on because you dont have a line shifter? (or do you). i bought a ebtech line shifter with hum removal built in. hopefully i have no issues. my used m13 comes off 30-day hold tomorrow so im sure it'll take me a while to get everything situated

The output level of the M13 using the 4CM Is slightly less then if you just put it in the front of the amp. The FXSEND isn't as hot a signal but I use the screamer always which goes out of the FXSEND in the 4cm so I'm boosting the signal anyways so you can't tell is what I am saying.

I think I put it in front of the fxreturn. I can't really remember for sure because it haven't hooked it all up for a while cause I have been axefx2 for a long time. The axefx2 made the worst hum ever when I first got it and hooded it up to my amp and the box total fixed that also. It's was ridiculously loud and unusable before.

finally got my m13 from guitar center. when i hooked it up to the randall mts last night, i ran the FX SEND of the randall's loop through the ebtech lineshifter, everything sounded good but i was getting a hum and buzzing.

the hum went away when i moved the M13's power supply away from my cables (Was laying on top of them actually at first) but the buzzing didnt go away.

i came back to it today without testing to see if the buzz was still there, i hooked the other channel of the ebtech line shifter so that the m13 output was going through the ebtech as well (i wasnt sure if i had to step the signal back up from -10 to +4 coming out of the line6 but i searched and seems like you do). no buzz or hum at all. time will tell if the electricity at my house is just acting good at the moment or not. but my band practice room has horrible buzz on our amps (non 4-cable method) so i think that will be the ultimate test

i hooked it up to the midi and switching scenes does in fact switch channels on the amp. i just need to figure out how to get a given scene to switch to a given channel - right now its kind of random. walshinator666... any idea? i need help mapping scenes to channels

spent a little while playing with the m13 and its great. its completely overkill for my band that plays live but having more options is great. plus now i wont need my boost pedal that i ocassionally use and hopefully not my noise gate. or wah. or channel switch. hah maybe it was really worth it after all.

I use the M13 with all my amps. I use banks 1-3 for pre effects and bank 4 for post. Bank one is just different over drives. Bank 2 is phasers, flange Bank 3 I have a pitch and a pitch set up like a digitech whammy. Then the 4th bank is in the loop and I have a reverb, delay, and I actually use a noise gate that I have on when the delay and reverb isn't that goes through the loop and makes the amp dead quiet. Since the M13 already have a built in pre noise gate I then stick one in the loop and you can barely tell the amp is on. My RM100 switches channels when you use patch 1-3 on the m13 so I just name the patches my module names. The one thing I didn't like about the m13 is there is no auto engage for the wah. You have to step on the button then use an expression pedal. I haven't looked for over a year to see if they ever wrote that into the firmware but they really needed to if they didn't already.