Another new mod...JF Snakebite!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaded Faith said:
As a selling feature to help sell you wife on the gear purchase you can let her know the red markers on the knobs are real Swarovski crystal. Seriously!

is that the difference in price between this and the Grailtone? $5 per knob :lol:

VitaminG said:
Jaded Faith said:
As a selling feature to help sell you wife on the gear purchase you can let her know the red markers on the knobs are real Swarovski crystal. Seriously!

is that the difference in price between this and the Grailtone? $5 per knob :lol:
Unfortunately, no. :lol:

It's strictly a parts and labor cost increase. A lot goes into it wiring this mod and it takes about 3.5 hours to build one. My going rate in the shop is $60 and hour, so you get the idea. The crystals were literally a last minute addition to make it pop and at no added cost. It's a lot of fun trying to add those for a guy that drinks as much coffee as I!

Just got my Snakebite in the mail today, wanted to spend 5 minutes just doing a quick play test and ended up playing for an hour and a half. Immediately I can place this among my top few favorite high gain preamps that I own, and I don't say that with honeymoon aura dancing around my head. I have the following set up exactly how I like in my studio to do A/B comparisons on the fly:

- Dave Friedman HBE (MTS module)
- Engl Fireball
- Jaded Faith Mods 59RR
- Jaded Faith Mods Erect
- Jaded Faith Mods EV Trilogy
- Jaded Faith Mods Mark X
- Jaded Faith Mods Pittbull
- Jaded Faith Mods Snakebite
- Jaded Faith Mods Texas Special
- Jaded Faith Mods Voxless
- Jaded Faith Mods XTC
- Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp
- Randall V2
- Salvation Mods Benzin
- Salvation Mods Kraken

Within minutes I had the Snakebite set around where I like, and I can say that I now want for nothing in the way of 'recto' style tones. All the right frequencies are just where I want them courtesy of the extra work Rob put in with the various switches, which in my opinion are what really bring this module to life. Most times I'm not a fan of cramming all sorts of additive voicing toggles to a preamp, but these interact beautifully with one another, and it's very cool to see how they combine when you set them accordingly. For example, the way the Fangs switch and the Treble section of the tone stack work together. I needed a little more cut than what the Treble knob was providing, so I flipped on the Fangs, it was too much, but Fangs on and Treble rolled back a little from where I had it alone - magic.

When I have the time in the next few days, I'll be re-re-amping the KsE demo I put together for this module, and will post the mp3 and the settings used.

Bravo Rob, in my opinion - with reference to what I have of yours so far - one of your best high gain modules to date!

Jaded Faith said:
It's a lot of fun trying to add those for a guy that drinks as much coffee as I!

I have this problem too :lol: and great for singing, horrible for guitar.

Really like all the R&D going on here and the excellent demos! Keep up the great work Rob and Kevin!

Ok, so took a few minutes out of the day to make a quick re-amp using the stems I made for Rob. So here it is:

KsE TEoH

The signal chain was as follows:

Jackson KE-2 -> EMG 85 -> Pacifica -> AD/DAW -> DAW/DA -> Creative Audio Labs MW1 -> Bodenhamer Bloody Murder -> Egnater M4 w/ Jaded Faith Mods Snakebite -> Chandler TG Channel -> AD/DAW -> OwnHammer IncendoSphere Power Amp -> dual send to SM57 Brit Modern 1 and R121 Brit Modern 1 with R121 -6 dB from SM57 -> Out

There was no bus work on this, save for track level EQ and Comp on the drums this is pretty much bone dry, master is just boosting the level with a volume maximizer.

The settings I used on the Snakebite are:

Snakebite-Settings.jpg

Gain - Maxed
Lead Channel
Venom - Down (On)
Bass - 1:30
Freq - 11:00
Middle - 1:30
Body - Up (Cut)
Treble - 1:30
Fangs - Down (Boost)
Volume - 1:00

The cab was a stock Mesa Recto cab, using IR's I'm shooting this week for an upcoming library:

oh-mes-v32-sm57-small.jpg

As indicated above this was an SM57 mixed with an R121. Oh, and this was tracked without so much as a mouse fart, totally silent signal path - yes, you can do this with tube gear and I am making it my focus this year to greatly expound upon the different elements with which to cater to these workflows. Digital modelers and VST's aren't necessary to get top shelf recorded tones without volume/noise, and in my opinion are noticeably inferior to what you can get out of the kind of MTS/M4 setup I am running. To this end, expect IR's from me starting in the summer that have the power amp baked into the cab/speaker/mic, using multiple kinds of tubes. This way us MTS/M4 modular folks will be able to rock the house without breaking the windows, or even wake the baby, where applicable. :)

Jaded Faith said:
audiomidijace said:
Exactly how do you make something look EVH inspired yet not have stripes?
Easy, it's called intention to keep oneself out of court! :lol:
Too funny Rob.
Plus to be picky when Ed had this tone, which he certainly doesn't anymore, he had a Marshall head shell, stock.

sounds great, i'm looking for the heaviest module I can find for rhythms and this is definately in the running.