Hmmm.....what is this Rob?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments. I just calls it hows I sees it. And it looks to me like everything from the business model and site to specific modules and innovations were modeled after what Tony has been doing? Coincidence? I think not. But maybe not done in a micious spirit. What concerns me is that Tony IS a visionary and an amp genius and in his country it takes a bold move to strike out on your own. He is a very good guy and has a family support and I care a lot about him. He recently quit his full time job selling copy machines to give his customers and work his full attention. His work ethic is do good, and workmanship so good very discriminating and renowned guitar players have put him up in their homes, flown him here to do their work. He doesn't make much money it's all labor of love and heart he puts into it.

So it makes me a bit miffed that someone would watch what he does and as soon as he comes out with an idea they undercut his price and copy it and sell it, and there seems to be an idea that its just easier in the US to buy the imitation than hassle with customs and its cheaper etc but I'll tell you that its not as bad as anyone seems to think and I'm going to help change that landscape now so whoever wants Tony's work will have a fast track to it. And the price is not going to change, you get what you pay for, the best, made with care and live and brilliance.

Having said that, as I said, the JF stuff I heard sounds good. There IS room for more than one MTS modder. And I'm sure the other guy has great stuff to offer, and can think of his own kewl ideas. He's obviously done at least a couple things Tony did not do first. More of that, I think, is what would earn my respect for JF.

Thanks for listening, that's all I'll add, I hope everyone is rocking out with insane tone and we don't step on the toes of our fellows in doing so!

Peace,
~ D

Rob, I somehow missed your reply ... hazards of trying post on an iPhone it out my glasses on!

Well, thanks for your comments. If there is no malicious attempt to steal Tony's ideas and business and its all healthy competition perhaps you can take away from this a little more sensitivity that Tony would love nothing more to feel that stimulation and sense of community. I can understand if customers are coming to you and asking for some things because they find Tony's work to be less accessible in the US. If they did that to Tony in us country I'm sure he would try to accommodate them if it is an interpretation design. If its a hybrid idea or specific mod who knows but I know the man and I feel certain he would like a healthy feeling where he could say 'go see Rob for THAT, he does great work and is known for that'. You know, Tony... and I'm speaking on my own tell you this because Tony would probably not say anything... but I have to..his ethics set a standard for me personally. He won't even make certain 'interpretations' because he feels that the company making the real amp is small and struggling to survive and produce 'art in design' .. that's how he thinks.

Anyway, no ill will, I'm just a guy trying to help a guy who made my an mod and became a friend and inspired me with his values.

That's what I think we are all here for is to help each other. I apologize if and where I've been off base. This is honestly how it looks from my perspective and I felt I needed to say something. I hope going fwd we can all be on a better plane of understanding, and I wish success and good will to all.

Healthy competition is fun and good, lets go fwd in that spirit that we are all in this together. Rob, I hope I can get one of your Dumble's one day. It's a great mod. Please watch the toes of my friend Tony and continue to produce great work of your own.

God Bless and Rock On.

D

group-hug.jpg

No disrespect, but this is ridiculous. If you must designate an injured party here, its Bruce himself. Its his design that everyone is benefitting from. He did the R&D and reaps no monitary benefit from any of the work done by Anthony, Rob, Scott, Pete, Disciple, the kid with the Dragon, etc... At least Rob has formed a working partnership with Egnater, as well as, Randall, Voodoo and Celestion and taken his amp seminar. I undertand that there is a geographical advantage for Rob in this regard, but that's not Rob's fault.

My amp is the reason LoD21 and mydemise realized there was a difference in density boards. Out of 3 RM100s and a Lynchbox, mine sounded the best. Through research LoD21 found the answer he stated earlier. That was 2009 and he shared it on the forum on more than one occaision. Should he be pissed that Anthony started modding density boards a year, give or take, later? I mean I like Rob a lot, but LoD21 is my son's Godfather, please use some consideration and respect when stepping on HIS toes!

Do I sound like an idiot? Mission Accomplished.

Anthony does great mods, so does Rob. The animousity is childish and I see none of it from Rob's camp. Did Rob put stickers on his mods poking fun at Anthony?

I have talked to Anthony via email a few times and he seems like a good dude. I own a Mamba SE and love it.

I was one of the guys that commissioned the Snakebite from JF because, while I love the Mamba, I don't like using an 808 in front of it because it creates so much noise, so I asked Rob if it was possible to create a Cobra with a little more tonal control and something to replicate the 808 frontloading the preamp section. After a few weeks of conversation he figured out the Venom switch as well as a few other innovations that he came up with himself.

While I don't know Anthony nearly as well as I know Rob, I think he is a good guy. I think he offers a great product. The main reason why I chose to work with Rob in the first place was a custom recto he did for my buddy. We tweaked it a bunch and until very recently it was my favorite MTS modue by far. During that development we became friends, which gave him an advantage over Anthony in obtaining future work from me. Sounds like you have the same relationship with Anthony and I respect that, but for you to accuse Rob of stealing his work as ludicrous as your comment about Anthony's work being better because he charges more. Reallly?

At Rob's request I have refrained from sticking up for him before when he was maligned, but I felt obligated to pipe up this time

I am not mad at you, dietrick, I guess I am irritated with the whole SM against JF mentality that some on this forum have. I am thankful for all of the modders out there and wouldn't hesitate to buy from anyone who designed something that interested me.

More modders, more options for me.... that's really what I am about :p LOL

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

H

Big Daddy said:
I am thankful for all of the modders out there and wouldn't hesitate to buy from anyone who designed something that interested me.

And THAT is the bottom line. :)

I can kinda see both sides of the arguement... but at the end of the day, I usually end up buying whatever fits my needs the best. 8)

"and I'm speaking on my own tell you this because Tony would probably not say anything"
Yet many of us received modules from Salvation with stickers on them that read "Rob, don't steal this, make your own design."
I've always purchased mods from both Salvation and Jaded Faith, but I know Rob pretty well and I didn't appreciate seeing that sticker.

So while I understand that Tony might be frustrated with his sales numbers because of competition from Rob, that's no reason to cry "thief!"
The simple fact is that it is faster and easier for a U.S. customer to order a product from Rob and his mods rock.

Dietrickhardwick,
It will certainly help Tony's sales if you're going to have "stock" of Salvation modules in the U.S. Salvation sales will easily double if that happens. It's the turnaround time and customs issues that scare off most MTS users. Because we all respect Tony's work and love his results. He makes great stuff. All of us would love nothing more than to have faster access to Salvation products!

But let's be honest here. MTS in a VERY small, niche market. Jaded Faith and Salvation are both offering modifications for a DISCONTINUED product! To make things worse, MANY people that own MTS amps are not even familiar with this forum or the fact that modified modules are even available! So anyone who thinks they're going to make a living from this handful of discontinued amp owners isn't looking at the big picture or has taken a vow of poverty.

MTS amps were originally released with a line of stock modules that were intended to be similar to the sound of other well known amps. They were even named to let you know what sound to expect: JTM, Blackface, Plexi, etc. So how anyone can cry foul when someone makes a mod for a format that was CREATED to provide the sounds of other amps is just beyond me.

I know that all of us want to keep MTS alive. This forum is really a small miracle. Let's keep this place fun and informative and just enjoy what everyone has to offer for as long as this ride lasts.

I can honestly say that what i know of Anthony and Rob both from dealing with them, everything would be put to bed and perhaps result in more positives if there were a direct conversation between both of them vs all of us going on an on about this subject.

As a community we can accomplish a whole hell of a lot more together than we can in opposition. Let's Rock!

LoD21 said:
I can honestly say that what i know of Anthony and Rob both from dealing with them, everything would be put to bed and perhaps result in more positives if there were a direct conversation between both of them vs all of us going on an on about this subject.

As a community we can accomplish a whole hell of a lot more together than we can in opposition. Let's Rock!

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, a bunch of us throwing in our two cents isn't helping anything. I'm just happy that the modders are keeping the scene going, and I wish everyone could get along.

Sorry for the man hug. I get flustered in combative situations. I like both of the guys involved in this unfortunate discussion, as well as Scott. On my modular journey I have gotten to know Rob, Anthony and Scott very well. I would consider all three guys my friends and have had extensive conversations with all of them, even non-MTS conversations. I had the pleasure of meeting Rob at the Egnater Amp Seminar and he is a good person, I have no doubt in my mind. I truly believe none of the guys to be of a malicious nature. I will continue to stay out of such conversations. :(

Haha... great pic but they don't look like guitar players! Unless we all got the Kane Roberts thing goin on!

Thanks for all the comments. I think, I hope, it's all been said and put to bed.

Rock On. \mm/

How about some more specifics..is the intent clarity and less fizz or just volume and more bass? As a Marshall guy with a lynch box, I don't want me anymore woofy bass! If anything I think shaving some fizz off would be in order.