SD Alnico II Pro Slash PUPs in an Epi

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
Ive got a Epi Les Paul Custom that sounds pretty good a bit dark and not nearly as tight as my other guitars.... Has anyone out there tried a set of the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Slash Pickups in one? I am a huge slash fan and want a set of pickups that will approach that classic AFD sound....
-mp-

I would honestly say to buy a set of Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II pros. They are cheaper than the Slash model, and in my opinion sound better. I have had both sets in Les Pauls, and have swapped back and forth to see if it was the guitar that made one set sound better than the other. The APH-1 just sounded better overall in all of my Les Pauls. The Slash, to me, has a harsher tone in the upper mids, of course, your opinion may vary. I played both sets through Hughes and Kettner combos (Switchblade and 25th Anniversary Tube Edition) and a Marshall AFD-100.

kenn said:
I would honestly say to buy a set of Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II pros. They are cheaper than the Slash model, and in my opinion sound better.

AFAIK, apart from sounding better, the A2P's were the p'ups used for AFD
unlike the Signature set which appeared almost 25 years later

Matt how would i check the pots to see if they will handle the aph-2s? Im not much of an inside the guitar guy i have a professional who does that stuff. Its a stock Epi LP custom but the pickups in it are seriously weak. As weak as ive ever heard out of any LP.
-mp-

Ok I know im gonna catch hell for this but I have been looking at Passive EMG's the new alnico 5 hz's mainly the h1a the h2a and the h3a they have been getting pretty good reviews on the sites ive been checking. From what i have read they are warmer and kinda made for classic and classic hard rock more than metal which is what i want and are a bit hotter than the SD's I was looking at.. ive got my salesman at sweetwater doing some research on em for me and i should be hearing back tomorrow!
-mp-

Latest posts