Does anybody like the high gain modules without the cap mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on my power amp to arrive, so I've yet to test drive my shiny new RM4.... :(

However, I can see that my Recto and Ultra Lead modules have the old/stock .0047 caps. Based on all I've heard about the tighter response of the smaller value caps, I was wondering:

Do any of you actually prefer your high gain modules with the original/higher rated caps? Or should I just go ahead and change them while I wait for my power amp to get here?

Also, what are your feelings on changing the cap on the Plexi module? I know Randall initially indicated it wasn't necessary on this module, but was wondering how it turned out for anyone who's tried it.

Gary

i kind a like em the way they are,,i did the cap mod on my recto and modern module i tried both .001 and .0022 and i find the .0022 is by far the best choice if you like a bit of bottom end in your tone that is..i use orange drop capacitors witch or great sounding caps espacialy for bass tone caps..

I love the plexi the way it is. Its very full sounding. It responds well to being goosed as well.

Yeah, but the Ultra, Modern, and Ultra Lead modules are totally useless in their stock configuration. Too much gain, too much mud.

Hello Gary,
In my opinion, my stock 1086 sounds good as is. I think, since this module is newer, I think that Randll must have taken into consideration some of the comments made by people on these forums and made a Hi-gain module that stock, has good note definition, monster crunch, and versatility all in one. I feel that any modificaions to the 1086 would not improve the tone, per se, but probably make it a little "different."

Hope this helps,
Distortoman

I personally like them the way they are, i haven't done the cap mods though. I hear alot of people doing the mod to the 'Recto' module but i think it defeats the purpose of that module, a real recto has a loose bottom end just like the module it's not real tight at all, i sold my dual recto head to get the randall head and i have never looked back, the recto module reminds me so much of the head i had minus the fizzy top end.