Getting more output from a pickup? Help!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
OK, got a Gibson Les Paul Studio that has that horrid PCB...I don't wanna mess with it more than I need and want to start simple...

Here's the deal, the pickup is passive but very high output...My Les Paul has 300k in the volume and 500 in the tone...I wanna boost that....

The cap is a 25V 223z ceramic...Any recommendations on what to drop in there???

Thanks!

Instead of deleting the thread...In case someone in the future comes across this issue...

I put an Orange Drop 600V .022uF cap in there and the problems are over and it's tonal bliss...The Motor City Solution pickup has all the life it needs now!

Try a 500 volume and 300 tone pot with a .022 orange drop polypropylene @100 or 200v. The 600 volt od will have a less sweet / more hugified tone that is a bit bland in comparison. 715 and 716 orange drops sound a bit different from each other.

Love the 500k volume pots. I might be crazy but I hear a difference. I roll the volume a lot and the 500ks do it better and smooth. The range is better. I'm definately guitarded though.

Hey guys...Thanks for all the input! I finally got the time and parts to do this and have only been able to test at very low volume thus far but the results seem to be very good...

I'll post back with more details... :D

Well I had a chance to put the geetar thru its paces a bit more and the improvement in upgrading and getting 500k pots on top of high quality caps + ditching the PCB has made this guitar so much more usable...

guitarzan hit it right on the head with his description....Rolling off the volume has become much more articulate and smooth...I am so glad I did this upgrade...Was pretty simple and worth every penny!

Thanks again for the tips!