OD Special vs. PlexiTweed

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plexi/Tweed is perfect for pushed, vintage tones.
70's rock, blues and some country.
Joe Walsh, ZZ Top
OD Special is a Dumble that has a more focused midrange with sustain.
Fusion, Jazz, Prog Rock.
Robin Ford, Elliot Randall

Best I can do.

Audiomidijace described this well. Check the soundclips on Rob's website, I believe they have the same riff played on both modules. The recordings are a good sample of what to expect in person.

Yes I have listened to those clips many times, but from reading on here I keep seeing people describe them both as midgainers for classic rock and blues. But from audiomidijace's description the plexitweed is definitely what I want

The PlexiTweed is essentially what you would think of as a Bassman or vintage Plexi with a Boost for more gain and options for tightening up the bottom.

The ODS is very touch responsive with the EQ before the gain stages. If you are unsure what that means, a good comparison would be a Mesa Mark I. The EQ does more to color the gain than truly sculpt the overall tone, with the Treble being the dominant knob and having an impact on the gain.

Hope that helps!
Rob

Wow! thanks for the explanation Rob. That really helps me understand the OD-Special. I see now what happens when I tweak the tone on it and why it has such a different effect than on my Fender-ish mods.
I know you are still really busy, but at one point you said that you would try and put something on your web site explaining the different mods and how the EQs and gains interact. you recently helped me better understand my Voxless, which was great.

ricky said:
Wow! thanks for the explanation Rob. That really helps me understand the OD-Special. I see now what happens when I tweak the tone on it and why it has such a different effect than on my Fender-ish mods.
I know you are still really busy, but at one point you said that you would try and put something on your web site explaining the different mods and how the EQs and gains interact. you recently helped me better understand my Voxless, which was great.
I'll start writing the manuals, maybe one a day over breakfast each morning. When they are all done I'll post them for download on my website.