MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can someone tell me wtf "djent" is?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> General Music Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zepplin490
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Can someone tell me wtf "djent" is? Reply with quote

WTF is this? is it a type of music? a sub genre? Ive heard various tracks that have been described as djent and they all were horrible! shitty tone and terrible playing. I even heard one on the salvationmods facebook page with the camerock playing "djent" and it was garbage even through that killer module... somebody set me straight please!
-mp-
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
disk11
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oversimplified: Meshuggah rip-offs

It's a metal sub genre, some would say off progressive metal, that uses other time signatures than 4/4.

Personally the only djent bands I like is Tesseract, and I'm not digging their new vocalist, and The Safety Fire.

Some other bands are starting to use similar riffing styles. For example 7 Horns 7 Eyes (sludgy/slower paced death metal), Decapitated (technical death metal) on Carnival is Forever.
Orange 212
Ibby 7420 w/ Evo7

Good deals w/: Mister Joshua, angra04, schlagdog, drewiv 2x, Detroit ABA, crankyrayhanky, ctgblue, alowerdeep
Totenkampf
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had a hard time describing it but i know it when i hear it because its just about the only metal sub genre that i dont like...well other than wtf limp bizcuit is.

seems too busy, too many contrasting effects going on and high mids making everything muddy. I think Periphery falls into this and although they are all skilled players, my ears never have time to rest between all the activity. there doesnt seem to be any hooks, just one run after another.
disk11
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totenkampf wrote:
i have had a hard time describing it but i know it when i hear it because its just about the only metal sub genre that i dont like...well other than wtf limp bizcuit is.

seems too busy, too many contrasting effects going on and high mids making everything muddy. I think Periphery falls into this and although they are all skilled players, my ears never have time to rest between all the activity. there doesnt seem to be any hooks, just one run after another.

Limp Bizkit is nu-metal.

Periphery are the Metallica of djent, by that I mean the first big one. And I agree, very talented but don't care for 'em.
Orange 212
Ibby 7420 w/ Evo7

Good deals w/: Mister Joshua, angra04, schlagdog, drewiv 2x, Detroit ABA, crankyrayhanky, ctgblue, alowerdeep
zepplin490
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Examples ive heard that claim to be "djent" are slow sludgy detuned garbage.. havent heard any semblance of talent from any of it..
-mp-
I am Legion
RM100

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the above.

Having checked out a number of bands that apparently fall into this 'category', most sound like Meshuggah after a hefty oestrogen injection.

ESP LTD M207 w/BK Warpig

Good deals with OKstrat, Jaded Faith, Salvation, Mysticalp, Murderball.
MarcoR
Donating Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Periphery II album is pretty good; very impressive musicianship. It's a little fatiguing to listen to for long though with so much going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> General Music Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: