Can someone tell me wtf "djent" is?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepplin490

Reaction score
WTF is this? is it a type of music? a sub genre? Ive heard various tracks that have been described as djent and they all were horrible! shitty tone and terrible playing. I even heard one on the salvationmods facebook page with the camerock playing "djent" and it was garbage even through that killer module... somebody set me straight please!
-mp-

Oversimplified: Meshuggah rip-offs

It's a metal sub genre, some would say off progressive metal, that uses other time signatures than 4/4.

Personally the only djent bands I like is Tesseract, and I'm not digging their new vocalist, and The Safety Fire.

Some other bands are starting to use similar riffing styles. For example 7 Horns 7 Eyes (sludgy/slower paced death metal), Decapitated (technical death metal) on Carnival is Forever.

i have had a hard time describing it but i know it when i hear it because its just about the only metal sub genre that i dont like...well other than wtf limp bizcuit is.

seems too busy, too many contrasting effects going on and high mids making everything muddy. I think Periphery falls into this and although they are all skilled players, my ears never have time to rest between all the activity. there doesnt seem to be any hooks, just one run after another.

Totenkampf said:
i have had a hard time describing it but i know it when i hear it because its just about the only metal sub genre that i dont like...well other than wtf limp bizcuit is.

seems too busy, too many contrasting effects going on and high mids making everything muddy. I think Periphery falls into this and although they are all skilled players, my ears never have time to rest between all the activity. there doesnt seem to be any hooks, just one run after another.

Limp Bizkit is nu-metal.

Periphery are the Metallica of djent, by that I mean the first big one. And I agree, very talented but don't care for 'em.

The only Examples ive heard that claim to be "djent" are slow sludgy detuned garbage.. havent heard any semblance of talent from any of it..
-mp-

Most of the above.

Having checked out a number of bands that apparently fall into this 'category', most sound like Meshuggah after a hefty oestrogen injection.

The Periphery II album is pretty good; very impressive musicianship. It's a little fatiguing to listen to for long though with so much going on.