QMGT Rocks!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
I'd like to publicly thank rob for creating such a cool module. Currently I'm playing this module 90% of the time. its great for high saturated gain as well as lower and stiffer applications. I was even able to use it to pump my Hoof fuzz pedal through.

Let me start by saying that I was a little disappointed when I got the module. To me, it didn't sound like either of the Quick Rods I used to own. My QR's were similar to 80 Ratt, Lynch tones. They were the most stiff and unforgiving amps I'd ever played. The tones they could produce were great, but I wasn't the kind of player who could elicit great sounds out of them. I sold them as they were too stiff for me. So, when I got MY QMGT, and plugged into it and it didn't feel like my old QR's I was a bit disappointed. It didn't feel dry or too stiff. Instead, it felt like a 2210 Jcm800. It felt compressed, gained out and easy to play.

Rob said that he based the QMGT on a new Splawn with a tweak to the power section, making the amp less sharp and more forgiving. For me, these changes have made this module a real player for me. I find that if I dial the gain back and used OD1, I han get it sounding similar in tone and feel to the old QR I used to have. When doing this, I have to be much more aggressive with my pick attack. Its still not as stiff as the QR's of old, but for me, its a good thing.

With the gain up in OD1, or in OD2 mode on any of the gears, this module transforms into something my old QR's weren't capable of. The level of perceived gain this module has, borders on the ridiculous- but it doesn't ever feel like a fire-breather. All of the gain is kept in control. The compression helps in this area.

Today I was playing on Gear 1, OD1 with the gain at 11 o'clock. I was going for more of a classic rock vibe. I turned on my fuzz pedal and the tome was magnificent! It didn't just sound like a boost, but rather great garage rock that was distorted without being mussy. The QMGT also takes boosts with ease.

As with any module, it can't do everything well. I don't think the module cleans up as well as some others. Its great for hard rock/ classic metal. But this module would be my first choice if I was using it as a single channel amp. When playing the QMGT, I also use an orange based module for my cleans. The two complement each other perfectly. Also, I found too much "boom" while using the module with V30's. Once I used my G12's or EVH heritage greenbacks, this module really spoke to me (if that makes sense).

Anyhow, I just wanted to post my thoughts on the module. Its a really cool piece of kit :D

here's a picture of mine (photo is Rob's)-
72819_618912318123186_318094521_n.jpg

Ross,
Thanks for the great review and happy you are digging the QMGT! Those red knobs you asked for really pop.

I have sent several of these out recently and lots of good feedback has come in. The GT revision certainly helped make it more player friendly and better for those who down tune.

One interesting thing you mention that I just stumbled on with this module is how much better it gets with Greenback-type speakers. I typically design and test on an EVM-12S, so that's what I'm used to hearing them on. Two weeks ago when demoing this mod at the Brookdale Guitar show I tried to through both of my show cabs. They are both 1060A cabs, one with a T75/V30 combo in an X-pattern and the other with new Creambacks. The QMGT came to life in an amazing way through the Creambacks.

Enjoy the mod!
Rob

Id really like to hear it playing another tune than the 3 or 4 songs that are used for all of the JF clips... maybe some metal some hard rock or heavy blues... anyone have the capacity to do this?
-mp-

zepplin490 said:
Id really like to hear it playing another tune than the 3 or 4 songs that are used for all of the JF clips... maybe some metal some hard rock or heavy blues... anyone have the capacity to do this?
-mp-
As I get more caught up I'll likely be tracking all the mods in all of those clips to show their range. All part of the plan.

I'd record some clips, but I'm not sure my room mic will do the module justice. I really need to invest in a cheap recording setup one day. It would really also matter wich gears were used, OD1 vs OD2 and if the deep switch was on or not. the module has lots of different options. I'm not sure if 1 or 3 licks would capture its settings well.

Sweet Rob cant wait to hear the snakebite doing something like " South of Heaven" or the 59rr custom doing "NightTrain" or maybe the UltraLead doing "Davidian" the Vybe Deluxe doing "lenny" the superclean doing "Little Wing"
or the PlexiTweed doing "Hideaway" and of course the MarkX doing what it does best "MASTER OF PUPPETS"
just my opinion
-mp-

seems like i heard a mark x demo doing MoP somewhere on youtube when i first started getting into mts. I second that I would like to see a clip of each mod doing each one of the ownhammer clips so you can compare them apples to apples. i think the bare knuckles pickups website excels in this regard.

a few real world applications would of course be appreciated as well! I guess I should record more and suck less at some point.

Even though im not real big on salvationmods (ive owned and now gotten rid of only 1 salvation mod in my whole mts career) but one area they do accel at is their sound clips even though they are far overproduced they are all different and appropriate to each module and all sound great... I dont ever see myself ordering anything from them since rob has a bevy of modules that will fill my needs for the next 10 years. And I am a bit of a patriot and tend to love U.S.A. Made Products, actually just picked up a set of EMG 81's that had an hour of playtime on em and were in the original box and with all the components for $50 and was suprised to see that they are made in the US OF A... I also only payed $50 for both 81's:) Got a epiphone les paul custom thats waiting for its place in line to come up at the guitar shop to be fitted and turned into a monster:)
-mp-

Interesting.. i'd like to know if Rob could replicate that raw, tight, and less gain of the real Splawns for people who want the amp not to be so forgiving. This is what makes those splawns so cool in the first place. Super stiff.

As for recording gear, it has been said before, it is relatively inexpensive to buy a used SM57 and a little USB interface for the computer into garage band or other. The cab impulses are good but missing something and sound too bass heavy. Someone send me one module a month and i will do clips of light crunch, med gain, all out metal rippin. Speaker can be weber legacies, super V, or RI greenbacks. Some of my other clips on my greenbacks turned out well and they didn't take long.

I played a brand new Splawn QuickRod last night and was just blown away. I really enjoyed it as it had that tight Marshall thing down very good...I actually played in a/b'ing it with a modded Marshall JCM800 and also with a couple Mesa rectos...It didn't have much as much low end as I would like but was still great...I didn't have any mods with me at the time but I should have as the guy also had an Rm100...I just sold my Quickmod GT but it would have been fun to add that to the mix last night...

Matt: I just tried out a QuickRod at my local music store too.. The Quickmod diddnt come today but playing that Splawn has kept me happy today I fell in love with the thing, Its defiantly punchy and as you said about the low end it is a little less than im used to but still a very very killer amp, had I 1800$ i would have walked out of there with it.. I was at the music shop to pick up my newly refurbished 1986 charvel model 4 which was resurrected in amazing fashion by Dan at northern kingdom music in bangor maine... if you ever happen to be in bangor maine and need some gear fixed dan is ur man!

zepplin490 said:
Matt: I just tried out a QuickRod at my local music store too.. The Quickmod diddnt come today but playing that Splawn has kept me happy today I fell in love with the thing, Its defiantly punchy and as you said about the low end it is a little less than im used to but still a very very killer amp, had I 1800$ i would have walked out of there with it.. I was at the music shop to pick up my newly refurbished 1986 charvel model 4 which was resurrected in amazing fashion by Dan at northern kingdom music in bangor maine... if you ever happen to be in bangor maine and need some gear fixed dan is ur man!

Agreed...Thanks for the tip on Dan though I'm rarely in that part of the country ... :)

That Splawn got me thinking too...The owner was prepping it for modding and trying some minor changes to coax the low end out...An EQ in the loop sounded perfect and I think he was just trying to hardwire that tone...Why? Because the soldering iron is mightier than the cable...I just learned that!

Just recieve my QuickMod GT and have to give thanks to the elder matt on the forum mr MattFig for the great deal and quick shipping on this Module!
First i have to say that after about half an hour of play with this module i can see it as one of my 4 channels in my rm4. I tried it out with everything set to noon on OD1 and Gear 1 and it sounded a little thin but with the deep engaged and the eq adjusted with a slight mid scoop it filled out nicely, I ran through the gears and really loved every one of them. They are all different and this module is really 6 modules in one as there are 3 gears and 2 levels of gain for each and that alone makes it riduclously versatile, It does high gain very very well on 3rd gear on either OD1 or OD2 and I love the crunch of 1st gear, I dont really know what the big deal about this thing not liking V30's is all about it sounded great through my V30 loaded warhead cab and it sounded just as good with a little more bass through my B52 cab... I would try some more but ive got a sprained left (fret hand) wrist so i cant play for very long but ive got my initial impressions down and I love this module.. Ill write more later after a vicodin or two:) and some more play time!
once again thanks Matt!

zepplin490 said:
After some more play time I would say the only thing that is tricky to figure out about this module is the presence knob...
-mp-
Keep in mind Presence is typically a feature of the power amp. When adding a circuit for that to the preamp it's going to be very interactive with the Treble pot. Adjust one, then try the other to see what they do and how they interact.

zepplin490 said:
Just recieve my QuickMod GT and have to give thanks to the elder matt on the forum mr MattFig for the great deal and quick shipping on this Module!
First i have to say that after about half an hour of play with this module i can see it as one of my 4 channels in my rm4. I tried it out with everything set to noon on OD1 and Gear 1 and it sounded a little thin but with the deep engaged and the eq adjusted with a slight mid scoop it filled out nicely, I ran through the gears and really loved every one of them. They are all different and this module is really 6 modules in one as there are 3 gears and 2 levels of gain for each and that alone makes it riduclously versatile, It does high gain very very well on 3rd gear on either OD1 or OD2 and I love the crunch of 1st gear, I dont really know what the big deal about this thing not liking V30's is all about it sounded great through my V30 loaded warhead cab and it sounded just as good with a little more bass through my B52 cab... I would try some more but ive got a sprained left (fret hand) wrist so i cant play for very long but ive got my initial impressions down and I love this module.. Ill write more later after a vicodin or two:) and some more play time!
once again thanks Matt!

To my ears, it sounds boomy with my Mesa Recto 2x12 cab, which has V30's/

As for the presence, I keep it dialed back, around 10:30.

As for my favourite tones, I like Gears 1 and 2 using OD1. I also like to have a boost in front of the module.

Adding to my review...

I find this module to love the Seymour Duncan JB. It really seems to make this module come alive more so than any other pickup.