What's in your Lynchbox Cabinet???????? See Last Post

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caine said:
Spencer4hire said:
Doing some research looking through the Randall Catalogs and price sheets it appears they made two versions of the 2X12 Lynchbox cab.RS212LB and RS212LBC. The C indicates it is Celestion Greenback loaded. I like Greenbacks but I really hope it has the SuperVs.

Zakk Wylde uses them in his 4 x 12s but of course he has roadies--that's 80 pounds of speakers per cab!

I might have to try one of the EVM's out. I have a 1X12 with a Scumback M75 100 watt running with a 2X12 loaded up with the Scum M75LHDC's.

One EVM in a 1X12 could add something new without pulling a muscle to move it.

Old thread, but I love the Super V's.

I have 2 Lynch Super V cabs and they blow away anything I have ever owned with China-Lestions.

I had a Marshall cab with G12T-75s when I first bought my RM100. Sold that and bought a Randall XXL with V-30s. I thought it sounded better than the Marshall, the G12T-75s were too dark and muddy. The V-30s sounded better, but were way too piercing. So I bought an XXL with G12T-75s too. I tried each individually, but I bought the 2 XXLs to specifically X pattern each cab to try and get what I wanted. When X-ed, they sounded alright...

THEN I tried a Lynch cab and it was all over. So much smoother, fuller, and just an all around awesome tone no matter what style. The Lynch cabs are ported which is part of the fullness, but next to the Lynch cabs the XXLs sounded like transistor radios. I bought the Lynch cabs in 2009 and have not plugged in the XXLs since. I always wanted to load both of the XXLs with Super-V's as well, to see how they sounded in a closed back cab because the Lynch cabs are slightly over-sized but not as big as th XXLs, but never got around to it because I didn't want to blow $1000 on speakers and as stated they were only 8ohm. I was hoping they would eventually release a 16ohm version, but no, and now they're discontinued :cry:

I was going to contact Eminence and see what the closest 16 ohm speaker they offer is, because I am sure it is just a tweaked Eminence Legend or Governor or something, or ask if X-ing two of their speakers would give me a similar tone.

Anyway, here is the spec sheet.

http://www.toutlehautparleur.com/guitar/eminence-lynch-super-v12-p-3204.html

Bumping a thread I found via Google search.

I would think the Mk 1 Lynchbox cabs had Greenbacks in the later runs because of the discontinuation of the Super V speakers, and Randall probably had a surplus of empty Lynchbox cabs and just threw in the Greenies so they could be sold.

I played through 2 Lynchbox cabs a couple years ago (at Funky Munky) - I would *assume* both were loaded with Super V's but I really can't be sure. I played the new LB103 through a Mk1 Lynchbox at Funky and was floored by how good it sounded. The other Lynchbox cab was a 2x12 I used when I had a private lesson with George Lynch:

Fxrfxr was this yours that you brought in??

2011-02-10104949.jpg

Larry at Funky said after George saw that snakeskin setup he bought a couple rolls of the snakeskin vinyl so he could do his whole backline with it :)

Having said that, I own a pair of Super Vs and a pair of Lynchbacks. The Lynchbacks are f#$kin SWEET. I belive they have a V30 vibe to them, but also the warmth of Greenbacks.

I have used each of the pairs in a 2x12 Avatar cabinet, and have used both in an X pattern in my Soldano 4x12. The Super Vs are difficult for me to get along with; I have to turn up the presence, treble, and gain quite a bit to get clarity. They also need to be pushed hard to sound good, and even my stage volume just isn't enough. It's plenty for the Lynchbacks to sound killer, though.

Both pairs in a 4x12 cab, the Super Vs easily overpower the Lynchbacks as I can't hear the Lynchbacks at all. Very low end centered on the Super Vs. I know a lot of guys praise the Super Vs a lot, but with my particular setup and volume they just aren't for me, which disappoints me :(

dang this thread has me confused now. I played a lynchbox 4x12 that I fell in love with but was short on funds for and it got sold. I've been looking to find another but now don't know which speakers it was loaded with for that sound it had. I thought I read somewhere that the Super V's where supposed to be modeled aftera a fane that GL loved, are the Celestions the same does anyone know?
Anyone have a super v for sale? :D

The Eminence Lynch Super V12 needs to be pushed very loud. The really wake up at the loud volumes, unlike the greenbacks and V30s - V30s being one of the best lower volume speakers around. Greenbacks need some power, but not near the V12s, which sound ridiculously bad at home volumes. Just like they need more presence but that doesn't work either.

That Gilmour-like "leaning into the decibels" sort of Fane sound is there with the V12, though. There's a ton of muscle and bite in every note, and you can feel yourself milking every note as much as hear it. It's a great 1 and done 1x12 combo speaker if you play loud.

old thread i know but thought i'd add that i have good experiences replacing the RI greenbacks in a 4x12 with two super v's. i have two weber legacy on top and 2 super v's on the bottom. I quite like them but the master needs to be up around the 2-3 mark for them to kick. By home standards with a 4x12, i suppose that is loud. going to sell the greenbacks as i also did not care for what i hear as harsh high end..

Spencer4hire said:
... Doing some research looking through the Randall Catalogs and price sheets it appears they made two versions of the 2X12 Lynchbox cab.RS212LB and RS212LBC. The C indicates it is Celestion Greenback loaded...

Yes, there were the two catalog numbers but the only version that was apparently ever produced was the "C" version (Celestion greenbacks), with silver/black grill cloth, silver on black skull logo and silver piping. I found this out after quite a bit of confusion when I thought I was ordering the gold trimmed Super V version that was advertised on the internet for months on end.

So, (I think this was back in 2010) I ordered, what I thought what the gold trimmed version, via a local music store and what showed up at the store was the silver trimmed 2 x 12 greenbacks cab. The Randall rep that my local store rep spoke to did not even know what was going on and we ended up having to talk to someone that worked in the warehouse and it was concluded that only one version was ever available. I am assuming that what likely happened is that there was a run that was intended to match the 50w silver trimmed Lynch head and they never got around to doing a run of the gold trimmed version. Somewhere in the mix, Lynch's agreement with Eminence ended and Randall's license for the MTS line with Egnater was also going to be ending and so a whole new Lynch line was going to be introduced which is probably why the other cab was never made.

Well, I wanted the cab to match my 100w gold trimmed Lynch head and so I had the silver piping swapped out for matching gold piping. You can get the same stuff online at Mojotone.com. I replaced the silver/black grill cloth with a gold/black grill cloth that is similar to what came on the original MTS era 4 x12 Lynch cabs. I took the black leather triangle piece in the front and had it recovered with the green gator tolex. I also had a guy repaint the silver on black skull logo, gold. He used a gold semi transparent tint paint (I think he mixed brown and yellow tint that he probably got from Stew Mac) and just sprayed it and the sliver turned gold and the black just stayed black. The whole cab looks really good--like it came from the factory that way. The piping was really easy to swap out--something you can do yourself in a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon.

When I bought the cab, I worked out a deal where the music store kept the greenbacks and I got a discount on the cab. I put a pair of EVM 12L Classics in it. Love it! Will post pics.

EVM12L Classics in my Lynch 2 x 12 cab - I have been using EVM 12Ls for years, although, these are the first reissues (classics) that I have had. The magnets are huge. While I was installing them, I had a plastic bowl sitting on the magnet. Notice the washer suspended off the end of a screw. It looks sort of like it's touching the side of the bowl, but it's not. It's stuck to the end of a screw, which is also suspended off another screw, which is stuck to a screw on the bottom of the bowl -which is magnetized by the speaker magnet underneath the bowl. The whole speaker weighs about 20 pounds (each) with the magnet accounting for most of that weight. The frame is cast aluminum which reduces the loss of bottom end frequencies.

002.jpg

003.jpg

014.jpg

LB04.jpg

LB02.jpg

Rear ported:

LB03.jpg

Spencer4hire said:
Caine did you put the foam in your cabinet? Mine doesn't have any and it sounds like an empty box? I have 2 Super Vs in mine.

SuperVs are nice speakers too. And yes I did. It's just some cheap foam I picked up at the local Joann's Fabric store. If I were a little more patient, I would have probably waited and bought some acoustic egg crate style foam or something, but when I got the speakers and was ready to install them, I wanted to "get r done" so I just used the most easily attainable foam.

I think I'm going to open it back up and remove the piece that is on the bottom (or cut it back further). I have a 1 x 2 Thiele cab that I built from EV plans that is loaded with a EVM 12L. Per the instructions, in that cab, I only have (not foam, but fiberglass insulation) on three sides and the back but not on the bottom. Although, because that cab is smaller, it would block the ports if there was anything on the bottom. For this cab, I just cut the foam back a bit but I think it might be better to just not have any foam on the bottom--it's rear ported and the port is along the bottom. I also put foam on the back panel.

3M Super 77 spray adhesive works great for sticking the foam to the inside of the cab. I sprayed it on the foam and the inside of the cab, let it get tacky for a few seconds and then used a few staples from a staple gun to hold the foam in place (although it seems like I may have not needed the staples). An electric bread knife works PERFECT for cutting the foam.