The Nuts, current and past users...

Area specific for Lynch, Hammett, Donagan (1086), etc modules and amps

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

Post Reply
Downrightproductions
RM50
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am

The Nuts, current and past users...

Post by Downrightproductions » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 am

I have been contemplating sending my nuts, i mean The Nuts, over to Rob at Jaided Faith to have some work done on it. He said that he could do pretty much what ever my heart desired to it. Now, this is why i come to you guys. This Ian head and modules are my first MTS products and i have not played any other "high gain" modules so i have nothing to compare it to so i am at a mental roadblock in how to tell Rob to improve it. What would all of you change/add to this module?

JayDA
Lynch Box
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:12 pm
Location: Dirty Jersey

Post by JayDA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:42 am

I sold all my Ian stockers that came with my RM100SI....they were all nice in their own way, but couldn't hold a candle to Rob's stuff. I personally thought the nuts had an odd midrange thing going on that I didn't care for. it sounded good scooped...but it ended there for me.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Something Marshally? Or something a little different?

SickPunk
RM50
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 pm
Location: Buffalo

Post by SickPunk » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 am

I just got the Nuts module and I like it alot. It goes well with my Judge mod.
Lynchbox RM100LB, Brahma, Mr Scary, The Grail, The Judge. Randall NBKing 100.

Hamner1
Lynch Box
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:53 am
Location: USA

Post by Hamner1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Probably the stock upgrade/Warm Clarity mod to start with. That should upgrade the tone significantly. From there you probably just need to see what you like/want out of the mod.
Ask yourself this:
1. What tones do my other mods give me?
2. What tone(s) do I want from this mod? You may have to put it in terms of I want... (insert famous artists tone from particular album here). From there Rob should be able to hook you up or at least get the discussion going.

And as JayDA said, Robs work kills the stockers. The SLOD100 blows the Scary out of the water for that Soldano tone. The RR59 puts the SL+ to shame (especially with the extra feature set)... you get the idea.
Non-MTS stuff for sale.

Good deals with: warlock, sickpunk, marinebassplayer, Rising Farce, durchgedreht, mattfig, & others.

Downrightproductions
RM50
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am

Post by Downrightproductions » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:31 am

Hamner1 wrote:Probably the stock upgrade/Warm Clarity mod to start with. That should upgrade the tone significantly. From there you probably just need to see what you like/want out of the mod.
Ask yourself this:
1. What tones do my other mods give me?
2. What tone(s) do I want from this mod? You may have to put it in terms of I want... (insert famous artists tone from particular album here). From there Rob should be able to hook you up or at least get the discussion going.

And as JayDA said, Robs work kills the stockers. The SLOD100 blows the Scary out of the water for that Soldano tone. The RR59 puts the SL+ to shame (especially with the extra feature set)... you get the idea.
Thanks!...that is helpfull....on a side note i see in your signature you have an Intellifex. How do you like it? Which one is is? Do you use the Hush system in it?

Hamner1
Lynch Box
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:53 am
Location: USA

Post by Hamner1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:16 pm

I do like the Intellifex, although I am looking to sell it to help fund a GSP1101 & Control 2 pedal. :shock:
I have the Intellifex Online Black faceplate version. As for the Hush I'm too stupid to program the digital Hush feature, so if a patch had it on then I left it. Any that I programmed I did not incorporate the Hush. :lol: I think it does a nice job for lowering the Noise threshold from the unit, not that there is much from it anyway. When I get a chance tomorrow I will look more closely into it and see if I can give a better response than this. It gives me an excuse to crank up the rack. :D
Non-MTS stuff for sale.

Good deals with: warlock, sickpunk, marinebassplayer, Rising Farce, durchgedreht, mattfig, & others.

pouet88
RM20
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:03 pm
Location: Canada

The nuts

Post by pouet88 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm waiting for my the nuts module, i ordered it here because i liked what i heard, did any of you did any diy mods to it ??

Downrightproductions
RM50
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am

Re: The nuts

Post by Downrightproductions » Thu May 23, 2013 2:55 pm

pouet88 wrote:I'm waiting for my the nuts module, i ordered it here because i liked what i heard, did any of you did any diy mods to it ??
mine is still sitting in stock form...one day I love it, the next day I don't. Depends on what I'm playing...

fuzzboat
RM100
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Post by fuzzboat » Thu May 23, 2013 8:41 pm

nuts = a friedman tweaked GTO


~~~ :roll: ~~~
I ♥ Shirley Manson

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:58 pm

fuzzboat wrote:nuts = a friedman tweaked GTO


~~~ :roll: ~~~
So essentially the judge with an extra gain stage worked in? Hey fuzzboat, you've seen a lot of Friedman's work, how close was the GTO to the BE parts wise? Tonally a few forumites have said it was very very close to his BE mods in amps.

rblyn
Lynch Box
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:10 am
Location: SoCal

Post by rblyn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:
fuzzboat wrote:nuts = a friedman tweaked GTO


~~~ :roll: ~~~
So essentially the judge with an extra gain stage worked in? Hey fuzzboat, you've seen a lot of Friedman's work, how close was the GTO to the BE parts wise? Tonally a few forumites have said it was very very close to his BE mods in amps.
I would say the Nuts is a 1987 with more gain....(yes the 1987 is close to the GTO but a little less gain and less smooth, more of a JCM tone) I actually preferred the 1987 and GTO over it myself. Still a pretty good stocker-
RM100/GT KT88's/Winged C EL34's x 2
RM20CP
Randall XL 4x12 x2/Boss GT10
"only the best" mods!

Steven Latch
RM100
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Post by Steven Latch » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:03 am

I would say the Nuts is a 1987 with more gain
I respectfully disagree...

The 1987 is my favourite marshall module. Just lacking a little in the gain department so I often use a clean boost. And side to side, 1987 with a plain clean boost and the Nuts sound nothing alike to my ears.

In actual facts I would have loved for the nuts to be a boosted 1987 but the module has a much harsher treble and less body. At least that's how my unit sounded. Maybe a simple tweak of the mids pot to give it more range in the upper mids would have done the trick

Post Reply