Rverb vs ODS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
Who can compare the two for me? Looking for thick warm mid-gain for rock and blues. Just saw the Black Crowes and among the back line I saw a few Two Rocks. Those are in the Dumble vein right?

nitrous12 said:
Looking for thick warm mid-gain for rock and blues.

I have both, I would say he OD special is a bit "smoother" and more compressed. I would prefer the Rverb out of the two, especially for rhythm playing. Alhough he Rverb won't do the "Robben Ford" thing like the OD Special, if that's important to you.

I have never played a real Dumble, but I love my OD. It does that Robben Ford thing very well. There is a clip on Rob's JF site where I used the OD with my L5 for a very traditional jazz tone. It is very versatile....probably my most versatile mod. I also own the RVerb and it is one of my favorites. I don't hear any similarity btw the OD and the RVerb at all....two entirely different animals. Rob's website calls the RVerb very English, and I could not agree more. If I had to have one or the other, it would be....well I don't have to have one or the other, so I don't have to go there.

Can the ODS pump out gain like this on its own?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dN8c5ia0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8tBtNz_T-I

Sounds very warm, thick and broad to me. Not a high gain, but there is definitly some gain in there.

ricky said:
I could do that tone with my OD probably better than my RVerb.

So you would say its got that level of drive? Or would the drive in the Vox less be better for that?

Maybe other owners of the OD should chime in here. The VoxLess and the RVerb have a similar "British-ness" in my opinion. Those youtube black crow clips sounded pretty "american-ish" to me. I can get a similar tone with most of the mods (w/in reason, of course) but it is about the feel for me. I could get those black crows tones with and OD and it would feel right to me. I could probably get the tone with a VoxLess or RVerb but would feel funny to me and it seems that they were made for a different style. but that is just me and my lame-*** opinion.

ricky said:
Maybe other owners of the OD should chime in here. The VoxLess and the RVerb have a similar "British-ness" in my opinion. Those youtube black crow clips sounded pretty "american-ish" to me. I can get a similar tone with most of the mods (w/in reason, of course) but it is about the feel for me. I could get those black crows tones with and OD and it would feel right to me. I could probably get the tone with a VoxLess or RVerb but would feel funny to me and it seems that they were made for a different style. but that is just me and my lame-*** opinion.

Hey I totally appreciate your opinion. You have all these mods plus you are a good guitar player! I agree that feel plays into it a lot as well.
I am going to have Rob do two mods soon. One single and one dual. Just trying to utilize that dual the best way. Sounds like the ODS and Vox less are different enough but which one is better as a dual to set one side clean and the other with a nice thick overdrive.

I love my VoxLess too. A lot! However I find it easier to deal with the eq section of the OD or the RVerb, at least when I am in a hurry. I can get a killer tone with the VoxLess, but dialing it in using that mid knob takes me a little time compared to the treble/bass/mid knobs of most of the other mods. The Vybe Deluxe is even more up my simple headed alley.
I have never owned a dual mod, so I am not sure which would be better for that. I feel like with the single mods I am a guy who snorts cocaine and the dual mods are like you guys telling me it is better if I smoke it.

Well things have finally come together on these mods I have wanted to try. I got an ODS, just ordered an Rverb and won an eBay auction for a Voxless.

ODS is not as squishy and full of juicy harmonic content as I thought it would be. The tone is a bit more stiff and tight. The mid range bark is interesting and its a lot like my old fender Super Reverb with a drive in front. Fun for blues and I love finger picking blues solos on it. I actually find my XTC still works way better for tones I need with the Worship band.