JF Legacy III(Legato)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L82theParty

Reaction score
I cannot think of an expletive strong enough to put in front of "__________amazing" to describe my new mod. Rob has done it again folks. Touch sensitivity like I have never had before on any amp. Just got my RM100 back today so this is the first I have been able to really try it. Still dialing in the EQ for my solo spot/tone but the sensitivity and sustain this mod does is awesome. Thanks again Rob and keep up the great work.

I also have one. Mine is a combination of the Legacy III 2nd and 3rd channels. I had actually just emailed Rob today saying that I did a trade with someone and had a Legacy in my studio for a couple of days. It had two channels and was pretty much spot on for the clean channel, which Rob made for me (The VAI) and then the 2nd Channel (VAI AGRA) is the second channel plus a switch that kicks it into the 3rd Legacy channel. What a cool sound they have. The VAI is a very interesting clean channel too.

I'll certainly make more. I wasn't planning on making it a standard offering for two reasons: the lack of general interest and the original name/artwork used on Ricky's module would be a legal issue for a standard release. If the interest is there, I'll make it a standard mod.

I would love to hear one of these.
Legacy amps have been on my list to try for a long time, but I just never pulled the trigger. Always feared I wouldn't jive with them for rhythm playing.

I love this for rhythm playing.
I have said this in another post a while back, but the clean cannel is kind of a cross btw a Fender/Vox?Marshall....very unique. It is sparkly and jangly but with the gain up it gets a nice grit. The 2nd channel starts out right where the clean leaves off and goes from there, so the rhythm options are great.

I think it may be a big seller. The touch and feel sensitivity alone are worth the price. But it has a sound all of its own. Right know it is in spot # three for my solo boost/tone right next to my 59RR Custom. It's sound is so different yet compliments any marshall tone I dial in for my rhythm, I would think I am not the only one, besides Ricky that would fall in love. Again great job Rob. Thanks Kelly

Update, I have had a couple weeks to dial it in. I have found it to be everything I could hope for in nailing the Legacy series amp. I also have found that although the module does exactly what I wanted it to do, it is not the sound I had in my head for my solo spot. It kills with more sustain and clarity than anything else I have every played, but it is just not the sound I need for the classic rock I play. It would be great as another option for a great rhythm channel( if I had a RM4) or as a stand alone solo module for someone that plays newer rock or even dables with covering Vai or Satriani but my chops are no where near there. I maybe putting this one on the market, I am still tweaking but even with the tube change that Rob suggested(JJ Ec83) it warmed it up but still not the sound in my head. Frustrating when I thought it would be "THE ONE" I am mad at no one but myself. Just ranting, now back to tweaking.

What kind of guitar are you using with it? i sometimes hear a sound in my head (along with voices that tell me that I am Jesus) and try to get it out of an amp and guitar that just can't do it. I have a JEM, so the VAI tone is a no brainer with the VAI Agra. However, with a start I can't get close to the same tone.

I have tried my SG with stock p/u's, my Les with Seymours and my Strat with Lace Sensors. After trying all, then changing tubes, then going back and listening to Salvation Mod Legend demo and then listening to some VAI, I have to say that Rob nailed the sound and the mod is exactly that tone, feel, with that said I just did not interpret the voices/sound in my head properly. The mod is spot on, just my ears/feel are not. I really like the sound, feel, and tone in this one it just doesn't "fit" with my playing style or what I THOUGHT I wanted. Kinda like seeing a new Mercedes Coupe and thinking man I gotta buy one, then bringing it home and remebering I have to bring my kids, dogs, wife and boat along with coolers, equipment and acoustic guitar to the lake. Really cool but just doesn't quite work.

I would keep and drive the Mercedes to the lake and then make the wife buy a minivan for all of the gear and have her bring the kids, dog, etc.

Legato Update- I ordered this mod for my 3rd Channel Solo spot. I had tried it at many gigs, traded it, traded back for it, used on a few more gigs, swapped different tubes, etc. Just wasn't cutting it for the sound I wanted. Put it on the shelf and left it. Month or two go by and I am thinking about selling/trading again. Thought I better put it back in and try it to make sure I am not in love anymore. Put it in the RM 100 and decided to try to EQ it with my EARS not my eyes. Then instead of just trying single note solo's thought why not hit it with some chords. WOW. Rob told me it did not sound thin(like I thought) this module is made for Heavy stuff. It nails Alice in Chains, detuned riffing is just what this mod was waiting for. I was not using it for the correct application. It will now be in the rotation when needed for heavier stuff. Note to all......Rob has said it in the past as well...Tune in the tone with your EARS. Since shutting my eyes and turning tone controls I realized that every mod is different visually. It was quite eye opening(as well as ear) it is amazing to hear the tone instead of see what you think it should be.

Excellent observations and so happy to see you happy. Dialing with the ears is probably the number one concept I try to convey as general advice. The eyes are okay AS LONG AS the EQ in question is of a similar design. Once you get into alternative tone stack designs (like this mod has) all visual bets are off. You have to go in with a fresh perspective because it's not going to be like other EQ's. It's an entirely different circuit and the interaction between the knobs will be different by design. If actually freaks a lot of guys out!

Both the legacy mod and the voxless mod did weird me out whenever I tried to eq with my eyes as adding bass can reduce treble and vice versa.

The Legend clip on the Salvation website gives you the "feel" of the mod but as with all mods the clip only hints at one tonal aspect. When I had Rob build mine I was thinking of the Salvo clip and Steve Vai tone, which if you add multiple fx the mod will do that, but just to crank it, it is way heavier than you would think. I just got my Snakebite and the Legato(Legacy) is heavier, not as versatile, but heavier which I never would have thought possible. I have no way to post clips otherwise I would. Maybe Ricky has that talent!

I have not had the time to record and post anything. Sorry. The thing with the version that Rob made me is actually two separate module. I just pulled out the clean channel yesterday which is called the VAI. I forgot how cool it is! It is different from my other cleans....kind of AC30-ish with a hint of Marshall clean. When you kick up the gain, it has a really cool edge......not blatty at all like some Fenders, just a cool grind to it. The second module (VAI AGRA) starts out with that sharp kind of grind and then gets real gainy and sustainy...again, kind of Vox-ish but with a Santana-ish Mesa feel but not like any of my Mesa mods. The eq is unique. Maybe Figgster should come to Montana and do a video review as I don't have the where with all to pull it off. I have a lot of mods and play with certain ones and then come back to one like this and forget how cool it is. Not for sale, BTW....

ricky said:
I have not had the time to record and post anything. Sorry. The thing with the version that Rob made me is actually two separate module. I just pulled out the clean channel yesterday which is called the VAI. I forgot how cool it is! It is different from my other cleans....kind of AC30-ish with a hint of Marshall clean. When you kick up the gain, it has a really cool edge......not blatty at all like some Fenders, just a cool grind to it. The second module (VAI AGRA) starts out with that sharp kind of grind and then gets real gainy and sustainy...again, kind of Vox-ish but with a Santana-ish Mesa feel but not like any of my Mesa mods. The eq is unique. Maybe Figgster should come to Montana and do a video review as I don't have the where with all to pull it off. I have a lot of mods and play with certain ones and then come back to one like this and forget how cool it is. Not for sale, BTW....

VAI AGRA :) That is awesome... :lol: