JF GrailTone .....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dcg8 said:
Drew.... Come on, what's too much Marshall? :D

Hey, I didn't say it, Rob did. :wink: You can find about five different versions of every Marshall tone Jim ever created in my basement. :D

drewiv said:
Rob told me I have too many Marshall based modules when I wanted to order a Brahma #39. I wonder if he'll sell me one of these. :D

from the guy who owns both an Atomica & CCV

IMHO the Atomica almost 100% VHI/II tone-wise

I find it funny all these years of talk about the coveted "Brown Sound"
marshall - hell I bet even EVH can't recreate those tones exactly -
lots of "studio magic" on those 1st 2 albums

fuzzboat said:
drewiv said:
Rob told me I have too many Marshall based modules when I wanted to order a Brahma #39. I wonder if he'll sell me one of these. :D

The Atomica is VERY close. Oddly enough, it's leaving me tomorrow and I love supporting Jaded Faith. Rob's good peeps. Although, I do have the Brown sound covered in spades.

drewiv said:
fuzzboat said:
drewiv said:

The Atomica is VERY close. Oddly enough, it's leaving me tomorrow and I love supporting Jaded Faith. Rob's good peeps. Although, I do have the Brown sound covered in spades.

yeah saw your pretty white one on Rig

most compare the marsha vs the atomica when it comes to VH tones

& when I listen to clips of both amps (after listening to the VHI/IIalbums )
the Atomica nails it IMHO

yet alot of players seem to prefer the marsha

The BE100 or Marsha to my ears seem to emphasize more lower mids. Anyone else find this when listening to clips? The atomica on the other hand has a bit more cut. That's what my ears hear though. I'll take one of each.

Kapo_Polenton said:
The BE100 or Marsha to my ears seem to emphasize more lower mids. Anyone else find this when listening to clips? The atomica on the other hand has a bit more cut. That's what my ears hear though. I'll take one of each.

The only time I've heard one live was when I saw Lynch Mob last year. I'd describe it as lower mids/ treble rich. For EVH, I've seen lots of guys playing Splawn amps. I just ordered a QuickMod myself. For my Marshall, tones, I've been using a Voodoo Plexi, and a Salvo Shiver- they get me very close. For anyone who's ever played a Bogner Shiva, I feel if set right, it does a very good EVH plexi kinda thing- not exact, but its pretty convincing. I'm waiting to hear Grailtone sound clips too.

This module looks so awesome. I can't wait to hear it.
Thanks Matt! I sang some backups but I'm not much of lead singer. Can't play and sing at the same time. I'm guitarded. :p

First, Rob, is this mod possible on the dual channel platform? If so, how would Loudness 2 react with both channels?

The BE100 v Atomica debate. The only time I've heard the BE100 by itself was Dave Weiner during a soundcheck at the Vai show at HOB last fall. He did a little run through of the amp for a couple of us tone snobs while Steve was doing what Steve does. If you need a multi-channel amp, then you're going for the Friedman. Other than that, I think the Atomica has much better tone. The bottom end is much better (has thump) and the high mids and highs cut much better. I'm assuming Steve doesn't want Dave cutting through the mix too much though... :wink:

drewiv said:
First, Rob, is this mod possible on the dual channel platform? If so, how would Loudness 2 react with both channels?
It is, but I have severe concerns about the Variac switch being a part of the mod on a dual platform. It's too crowded and I don't feel good about running 300V+ across one of those modules in such a tight space. I would suggest wiring the B+ in the Variac On position full time to add to the vibe and make it different from other Marshall mods you have.

Loudness 2 would work exactly the same as on the single version. I would wire the existing gain knobs to reflect the Eruption On (B) and Eruption Off (A) and the rest would be the same.

Jaded Faith said:
drewiv said:
It is, but I have severe concerns about the Variac switch being a part of the mod on a dual platform. It's too crowded and I don't feel good about running 300V+ across one of those modules in such a tight space. I would suggest wiring the B+ in the Variac On position full time to add to the vibe and make it different from other Marshall mods you have.

Loudness 2 would work exactly the same as on the single version. I would wire the existing gain knobs to reflect the Eruption On (B) and Eruption Off (A) and the rest would be the same.

Yup, put me in line. Since the Atomica just got dropped off at FedEx this morning, I'm going to have to see if this can displace my current #1 early VH sound.

I just rec'd my donor modules from Bruce yesterday. One or two will be on their way to you tomorrow or Monday.

I keep reading this, and looking at the pretty photo.
Although this is not a tone I truly desire, or do I really need one?
But I keep telling myself, send that stock SL+ in and give it a "grail tone" makeover :D I am very intrigued by the features and sound of this new mod.

This is a really cool mod. I have a chance to demo one and check it out for a bit. Running through it some last night I think this might be one I'll want in my permanent collection. Lots of options for gain level and feel and of all the modded Marshall type modules I have or have tried...I feel like this is straight up good ole Marshall done well and may serve as a go to for classic Marshall tone.

I really dug this one at the Amp Show. The Variac function really works quite well. This is just the perfect hotrodded Marshall tone. More gain and much thicker than the Brahma #39. More aggressive sounding than the high gain tones in the 59RR. My favorite of the three for this tone for sure.

audiomidijace said:
I really dug this one at the Amp Show. The Variac function really works quite well. This is just the perfect hotrodded Marshall tone. More gain and much thicker than the Brahma #39. More aggressive sounding than the high gain tones in the 59RR. My favorite of the three for this tone for sure.

I was actually putting my borrowed Grailtone up against my Brahma #39 last night. The Grailtones natual voice is more out front and it has a warm chewy grind to it. While I like that, the low is not as tight or thumping. On the Brahma, with the Caswell circuit on I did find it was not as thick as the Grailtone. It has a tighter tone all around and a cool high end bite. So far I actually prefer this mod w/out the Caswell and the gain pushed up pretty far. Less noise for one, and also I think it is much thicker and you can get the mids to come out front more w/out it getting harsh.
Both are cool and have enough difference and unique qualities to have their own niche.