How does the T2 work?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terminator2

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first post. I recently purchased a T2 which I absolutely love. I replaced all of the tubes in it with JJ's, and noticed that it had kind of a harsh sound, like a tube amp with mis-matched power tubes. I didn't get the jj 12at7 with matched sections. After putting the EH 12at7 back in, it sounded excellent. Also, I took out the chassis just to take a look inside and I noticed that in the power section there are two rows of big resistors. My questions are: Does the 12at7 work as a power tube in push-pull configuration (which is why it needs matched sections, like in some very low watt tube amps), and if this is so, then do all of those big resistors act as an attenuator before the solid state power amp?

Terminator,

The rear 12AT7 is a tube driver stage to the MOSFET output transistors. It doesn't work like a tradition Class A or Class AB push/pull type of tube power amp which has a separate output transformer, but it does have an affect on the overall natural compression and tone of the power section. We use and recommend the 12AT7 tube or JJECC81 in the power amp, because this type of preamp tube has more clean headroom, meaning it doesn't distort or break up as quickly as a 12AX7.

You were probably hearing the 12AX7 in the power amp starting to distort, so it may have sounded a bit harsher than the 12AT7 did.

The JJ's are great tubes and I would recommend a JJECC81 in the power amp if you're looking to go with JJ's in every position.

I hope this answers your question.

Let me know
RD/MAN