Scott Ian "Malcolm"

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryzakk

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one out?

I'm rhythm guitar in a Bon Scott ACDC tribute and i think this may be just perfect for the sound ( I currently use a Mesa Electradyne and go between the gain modes depending on the song)

If there are any sound bites or clips, please direct me too them....

And if anyone has any suitable alternative suggestions, feel free.

I've never tried the Malcom but I found the stock JTM or Plexi wasn't too bad for AC/DC. For a full band situation I'd go for a modded mod.
Not many of us MTSers in Perth. I've got a heap of mods both stock and modded so if you want to get in depth about tones just pm me.

I had the Malcolm for about a minute. It was about most uninspiring module that I have owned. I promptly sent it out as a donor. I think you would be happier with any of the modded varieties available (Mashall+, 59RR Custom, etc)

That's funny. I completely disagree. You have to keep in mind that it is Scott's semi-clean tone. To me, this mod is the perfect Marshall clean tone with break-up. It doesn't have much gain and doesn't sound compressed, but for what it does, it does it well. I'm not super familiar with Angus' tone, you might be able to crank the gain on the Malcom or even back off the gain on the 1987. Scott's 1987 mod isn't as high-gain as people would think and definitely not scooped. It's a classic Marshall crunch that comes alive with a boost, which is how Scott uses it. Could it be used for classic Marshall tone? Absolutely!

I realize that's what it was made for and it does the ac/dc sound well.. but that's it. I wanted more variety and more crunch. With the modded stuff, you can get the sound your looking for and more. It's really more about spending a little more cash and getting something that's really going to blow you away. Hook up with Dave and you see the difference between the two. I sent the Malcolm out to get the JF Grailtone... then the Wrecked came out. Even though it wasn't the appropriate donor, Rob was cool enough to hook me up with one that was.

The Malcolm is the blanketiest module I've ever owned. I found I had to crank the treble, cut the bass and engage the bright switch just to get a reasonably balanced tone. And even then it's still frightfully dull and uninspiring.