rectifier in Mod or M4?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It may be obvious to those who know what to look for but I don't.
Is there a rectifier, either SS or Tube in my M4 or is that a part of the Mod? Or is there not one period?

Looking to understand 'sag'. In other tube amps I can play with different rectifier tubes for different feel...
How does that play out in the Mod world for a M4 user?

Every amp has a rectifier to convert the AC power to DC. It's either tube or solid state. These amps are solid state.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rectifier is in the power amp section. So your M4 would not have a rectifier either way. That said, a tube rectifier gives a nice sag while a solid state one gives a more immediate response. Per Mr. Soldano, one can design a circuit with a solid state rectifier to have the sound of a tube rectifier without the maintenance a tube rectifier would require.

http://www.soldano.com/amp-help/tube-vs-solid-state-rectifiers/

speed2dirt said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rectifier is in the power amp section. So your M4 would not have a rectifier either way. That said, a tube rectifier gives a nice sag while a solid state one gives a more immediate response. Per Mr. Soldano, one can design a circuit with a solid state rectifier to have the sound of a tube rectifier without the maintenance a tube rectifier would require.

http://www.soldano.com/amp-help/tube-vs-solid-state-rectifiers/

I guess that is the crux of my curiosity. I want to know if the rectifier circuit lives in power amp or in the M4. Im using the Randall RT2/50 for power most of the time.
What I'm 'feeling' in the three mods I have is a very SS feeling attack. I was wondering if there was a way to get some sag and more pronounced bloom, in my case to the RR59 Custom specifically.

What power tubes are you running in the RT2/50? how about the P.I.?
Where do you have the volume on your module?

MarcoR said:
What power tubes are you running in the RT2/50? how about the P.I.?
Where do you have the volume on your module?

I think the power amp has JJ el34's on the side I'm using for the M4
Not sure about PI
On mod I have volume at 3 o'clock, gain almost all the way up. Not that I really want more but because the sound seems a little thin and weak otherwise. I'm afraid maybe that is the design choice of the mod.

The output on the M4 is at 9 o'clock and the volume on the RT2/50 is around 9 o'clock

Try playing with the volumes a little; I know there is a lot of talk about setting the module master volume up higher but if you want more sag, going lower will help quite a bit. Most of the time people want more punch, so driving more current with the volume up does that. But for sag, try going the other way and turning up the M4 volume to compensate.

Anytime something plugs into the AC outlet of a wall and the circuit requires DC (as in all the tubes in your pre and power amps), rectification MUST occur. Your M4 is no different and uses diodes to accomplish this.

Sag is defined as the failure of a rectification circuit to deliver that which a circuit is demanding of it. It's like a temporary brown out in between demands.

There are no hard truths about tubes vs diodes for accomplishing this task. Tubes can be plenty stout or can sag all day trying to keep up. It depends on the circuit and what the tube is asked to do. Just because a tube is there doesn't mean it's going to sag.

So yes, there is rectification going on in both your M4 and RT 2/50. No, it's not to blame for the feel of you modules.

I'd look to the other variables, mainly the signal chain and settings. Do play around with all the gain and volume settings to find what's right for you personally. Those knobs are like a series of faucets all controlling the flow of the same water. How you set them determines the flow between any two points. There's no right or wrong and you will have to experiment.

Latest posts