Exact plexi/marshall super lead mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksun

Reaction score
I know there are several plexi mods to choose from, but is there any alternative that really IS the plexi preamp section??!! Also structurally identical that is?

Don't know much about the tech part but these old amps' (plexi, bassman etc) preamp sections aren't nearly as complex as modern amps right? Might it then be the case that some of our fine modders actually in some cases have been able to fit these vintage circuits on the mts module platform?

Just being curious here.. :?:

Not to sound sarcastic, but that really is what we strive to accomplish when replicating amps on our offerings. I'm sure you knew that, but perhaps I was missing something?

Well basically I assumed that modern amps (a Cobra for instance) preamp sections are too complex for the circuit to be directly applicable to a mts module. That when designing such a mod, some compromises and approximations/simplifications has to be made for it to "fit" on the module pcb. Is that correct?

If so, I wonder which less complex preamps, lend themselves to circuit wise be exactly copied to a mts module platform?

To rephrase the question (to be on the safe side, I'm obviously a non native English speaker): What Jaded faith mods are from a circuit wise perspective identical to the real deal amp preamps?

Essentially all of them are as true to the original as possible. Space is rarely the limiting factor, you can get creative in that manner. An example is my Silverado mod which has a 2nd tier PCB mounted between the tubes. What is a limitation IMHO comes down to two things:

1: Is it possible to get all the parts from the amp being cloned inside a module and can it power them?

2: Does the circuit from a given amp actually work well, sound good and feel right when grafted onto a module?

The first one is simple and clear cut. Two examples of where omissions were required were the 5-way inductor rotary Mids on the Ampeg SVP mod and the slider EQ on the Mark X.

The second one is not always obvious until you build it. I promise you if you try to build any Engl or Mesa preamp onto a module directly from a schematic it will sound like garbage and probably be loaded with blocking distortion. This is where the artistry comes in and choices must be made. There are different reasons for this. Some designs don't translate well. Sometimes there are limitations on what you can squeeze into the module. Some schematics flat out lie about the circuits!

So yes, we strive to stay as true as possible as much as possible. At times there is variation, but always with a reason behind it.

Hope that helps,
Rob

Jaded Faith said:
...the slider EQ on the Mark X.

Come on Rob, you know this is possible. If Randall could do it, I'm sure Jaded Faith can do it too. Seriously, it doesn't need to be on a Mesa type module. I think the graphic EQ could be cool on any mod. Yea, you'd sacrifice versatility with all the different options, but the variable EQ would allow you to vastly change the tone. Could it be done on a custom, one-off module? I'm seriously interested.

Didn't you mod this into a clean mod? I thought I read that somewhere.

Ultracurve.jpg

speed2dirt said:
Jaded Faith said:
...the slider EQ on the Mark X.

Come on Rob, you know this is possible. If Randall could do it, I'm sure Jaded Faith can do it too. Seriously, it doesn't need to be on a Mesa type module. I think the graphic EQ could be cool on any mod. Yea, you'd sacrifice versatility with all the different options, but the variable EQ would allow you to vastly change the tone. Could it be done on a custom, one-off module? I'm seriously interested.

Didn't you mod this into a clean mod? I thought I read that somewhere.

Ultracurve.jpg

Some of those little toothpick ones like on an Alesis MEQ230 would be perfect! Just sayin'...

You are 100% correct: it's very possible. Even better, I fully have the know-how to build a graphic EQ network like that. The issue is having to retrofit it into a module that was not intended to house it (meaning a stock donor module). There is NO WAY I would be able to retrofit that into a module without HOURS of labor. I personally think $600-800 modules are obscene, but that's the cost in labor for such an endeavor unfortunately.

Many things are possible, but not all are feasible.

It has to be remembered that the MTS modules all deal with V1 being in the MTS host chassis (V1 a or a + b depending on the MTS host), so following a traditional amp schematic exactly will not work.

That said, post V1 and the necessary gain/filtering adjustments associated with it pre V2, post all that you can follow the schematic as closely as possible within the basic MTS architecture without undo re-design (depends on the doner module and the designers time/patience and desired price point).

The main deals are the tone stack design, inter-stage filtering, and gain stage structuring, and in these areas you can get close enough to mimic the desired sound pretty well IMO (we've built good sounding MTS versions of the Matchless Chieftain, Hiwatt DR-103, Orange OR-120, Vox AC30TB, and soon a Dumble style pre for our own uses as we're not in the module modding business). All of these have very different tone stack designs, and when paired with the proper cab/speaker and output tubes sound amazing close to the real deal IMO.

Objection here.
I would say that most modder's circuit replica approximate the original's circuits. It might work in some situations while in other situations you need to
a. do some tricks (e.g. to reproduce the six gain stages of a 5150)
b. simply guess and come close to a sound. The OD Special is not a Duble circuit

Anyway... it needs to be said that there are **** good modules out there

Man... I thought this horse died a long time ago?

Well... since I'm here... and no one is looking... *kick* *kick*

(and then I keep on walking) :lol:

kc2eeb said:
I've got the Ultracurve. The sliders are touchy.

Did you get it modded or is it bone stock? If it's stock and you don't mind, would you show us some gut shots? I'd love to see the insides of that beast! :twisted:

What we'll do is simply add digitally controlled analog circuitry to the module just like the Mesa Boogie Triaxis. Then we'll create an app that allows you to control and save presets wirelessly from your iOS device. The only question is do we go to the trouble of using motorized pots?

I will post some pictures when I can. Meanwhile, it uses op-amps and inductors (like a wah pedal) to boost and cut the frequencies unlike most
guitar pre-amps that pass frequencies either through to the power amp or to ground.
It's stock.

What about the TC Electronic 1128. Digital controlled analogue EQ! It is a great unit and costs less than a modded module.

kc2eeb said:
I've got the Ultracurve. The sliders are touchy.
Now just how many mod slingers bombarded your message box to see if you'd sell it? :lol:

Now show of hands for the slingers who want to but didn't.................
Mine is up. :wink:

Actually, no one. I wouldn't sell it. So rare to have something there's only one of. It's quite touchy to adjust (which doesn't bother me) but probably why ( in addition to cost) it wasn't produced.

Latest posts