Good clean tone that isn't bulky in the lows.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
Dales district, Sweden - heartland of Swedish folk
I have an Egnater Twin module that is good in many ways, except it doesn't play well with my speakers in the lows. Somehow it seems that no matter how I tweak its controls I get a pretty unruly low end.

There wouldn't be some module that does roughly that headroom but is less voluptuos in the lows you are aware of? Preferably one that isn't too hard to obtain or doesn't come with costy features I don't really need.

Another option would be a simpler mod to roll off the lows somewhat in the existing module.

I had a few guys round for a gear day on Saturday and the mod that they loved was the JF Superclean. It might have too many features for you but we had it cranked and as we turned up the gain it added more to the bottom end. Not breaking up at all just making it thicker. We could tune it perfectly to which ever guitar we were using. Is an awesome way of finding what a mod can do when one guy is playing and another tweaking.

If you're happy with everything else, adding a HPF to the circuit should provide an easy fix for you. If you want to try something else, the new JF TWOX is the best MTS clean I've heard. No low end issues at all. Switch between a Tweed tone and a Vox tone.

I've had my new JF Vybe Deluxe for only about a week now, but I can attest to it's ability to achieve what you are looking for. Pristine cleans with the gain below noon, tons of low end on-tap (just like the Fender's it's based off of - which BTW I've never been able to dial out enough bass to have a Vibroverb, or Twin Reverb not get nasty muddy with my LP, so your module is likely a good approximation of the real thing), but it can be dialed down no problem. The stock module I sent to Rob was a Randall Blackface, which is actually a great module - you could get what you want out of that, or even a stock Randall 'Clean' module. I had one of those too, and it too was very nice. But, none of the stock stuff compares to the modded modules in terms of clarity and refinement. You have lots of options.

Thank you so much for your replies, good people. Will look into your suggestions in due course. Tried it with my VX module and it seems more managable that way, though not perfect for what I need.

Seems I also will have to look into what impact of tone the speakers and the cab have. Open back I get more bass than closed back, the soundwaves bouncing around the room. At time being I have the tube handles removed to create at least some bass cancellation. Then I also have the cab internally damped.

Also there may be a chance the speakers are insufficiently defined in the lows, in which case I may have to replace half of them, if not all of them, with something more so.

I have a salvation buddy and I really dig the cleans that I can get from it. And its different than the glut of fenderish / marshally tones out there. It really is kind of unique.
I dig it. Very nice clear cleans, not a lot of boom to the low end, just a very nice clean :)
I run it through a 4*12 closed back Randall cab loaded with V30's and a second 4*12 closed back with v30's and gt12-75's.
It also overdrives very nicely!
Just my two cents :)

I find all of the stock modules including the Egnater Twin and Deluxe and the Randall Blackface , Deluxe,KH1 and the Clean all have too much bass and get so boomy it is beyond annoying. I have to run the pot almost all the way off. Randall 4X12 with V30s. I have a new Vybe Deluxe and a Twox on the way I hope these aren't the same way.Too much bass even with my RM20 head into my RGB112 cabinet loaded with a greenback.

I had an Egnater single channel Plexi that did a great clean. Just
a very warm tube tone. It took tube changes very well.

Latest posts