Absolute best Vox tone in a module?????

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
I have a DIY modded Super V that I got off ebay a while back. it has a top boost switch, and DC switch, a cut knob and a bright switch. all other knobs the same as stock. it sounds very good, or so I thought until I played a Vox up close for a while. The tone of that amp was great, warm and like a box of bees, or whatever the term is. it's true. warm and soft on in the center and aggressive and thwacky at the same time

I don't want to buy a new amp but I could shed a few pieces of gear to get a very good Vox type mod.

so, which one sounds right on the money? I had the Salvo which I could not dial in, this is before I really understood how to use a vox style pre.

Is there any hope in achieving this sound, true vox tone in a mod? or is it still only approximate. seems like a tough sound to get from anything but a Vox. will I just be disappointed?

I guess I'm asking for a comparison to actual voxes and what folks think of the mods next to them. I know folks will say the x mod rocks or the y mod is the best but I''m wondering if there might be some more to it than that.

Thanks much

You're not going to get that exact tone out of a mod, especially not with big glass and sealed cabs. The power section is definitely part of the magic of a real AC30. That said....I love my JF Voxless, I think it's about as close as you could possibly get.

I was guessing I might need an RM20 to pull it off. I've been hoping to get it with my RM50. I think I'll hold off on that dream

I really like my JF Voxless, and would love to have tried the Sacred Groove CC22? Not many were made before he Scott went silent, though the forum feedback was impressive once guys learned their mod settings.

withmittens said:
I was guessing I might need an RM20 to pull it off. I've been hoping to get it with my RM50. I think I'll hold off on that dream

You could try YellowJacket EL84 adapters....it warms the sound up somewhat...probably the closest I got was with an actual RM20 though.

+1 on the JF Voxless. I have the dual channel version it's sounds so good thru my Mesa 20/20(El84s). A lot of tone varities with that 5 position rotary mid knob.

Latest posts