Rm20 Direct question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseblanket

Reaction score
First, i have never really recorded direct before so excuse the ignorance.
Anyway, a new baby in the house dictates that I do things a bit differently. I picked up an RM20 for the direct out. I think I am doing something wrong.
I ran the RM20 directly into my mbox2. In my DAW I am using redwirez IRs for cabs. Sound is pretty muddy.
Yet if I use the Line Out of the RM20 the sound is much clearer.

Anyone have any tips or words of wisdom for this Bambi out in the woods?

Hiya,

Congrats on the baby?.The Direct out has a cab sim built in?Therefore when you run it through an IR (meant to be run direct) you are doubling the cab in your chain so to speak?

I would continue using the Line Out into the IRs for max versatility although the direct from the RM20 is not at all bad?.

Good luck!

I hope you feel more confident just using the DI out without following it in the signal chain with an impulse of a cab as you hear more clarity. You typically would never reamp a recorded guitar cab for the same reason.

Try some creative panning and moving instruments or vocals with similar frequency content to the opposite side (left and right). Realize you're creating a sound stage/painting (to be all cerebral about it), and you can move things

forward or backward using volume changes
Left, center, right with panning
Up or down with low or high equlization changes

The best mixes leave room for all parts, or layer complimentary sounds in the same location. Trust your ears. It sounds like you can, based on your original post. Also take the final mix to your car for a second listen - that really helps as headphone mixing can be tough at times.

What I found with most IRs is that (for my taste) they often need some less highs and lows

This is already happening with one IR, but ofcourse those frequencies are taken down more when doubling up two cab sims

I'd love to have the option to go direct without needing IRs, the RM20 combo seems to have so much going for it. I think I'm going to try and swap my RM100 for one.