Is the Randall Grail similar to a Mesa Tremoverb?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
Saw a comment suggesting it is when doing some searching. Can anyone else confirm or deny?

I tried a mesa tremoverb combo at Guitar Center. First impression - dirty channel sounds very similar to a Grail module. :D

With my v30/12h30 cab, RM50 grail and active pickups.....I always thought the Grail sounded very much like a live version of the Black Album tone back when Metallica were using Rectos and Mark amps.

Definitely in that territory.

My Grail has either high gain Shugang r5s or r9s also.

Thanks guys.
I loved the Tremoverb I had. Kind of had a love/hate with the 3ch Dual Rec I had after the Tverb. I am not a huge fan of Rectos, but they have their place and I am feeling like I would like to have a Recto type tone in the arsenal. Since its not a primary tone it may make sense to go with the Grail and not invest more $$ into a modded module.

From memory the Grail has quite a low cap value in the critical (c3?) position...reduces the boominess and makes it quite tight sounding.

I think I actually ended up increasing the value on mine at one point but then I modded the input stage of my RM50 a little.

They are different, they both have that over all Mesa tone but I have had them side by side and to be honest I prefer the Grail it's one of my favorite stock modules.

The Grail is closer to a pre 500 era recto and it doesn't have the bad fizz and loose bottom the Tremoverb had.

I have liked Recto's for rhythm but using them for lead never really worked for me, it just sounded bland and generic.

The Grail does a great rhythm and great lead sound.

At least that was my experience.

Cheers