My Magic Pedal...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EWSEthan

Reaction score
... is my Xotic BB Preamp. I am not kidding when I say that this pedal is absolutely incredible. Ive gone through various OD pedals including FullDrive2 and the MI Audio Blues Pro and for me, the BB is an absolute killer secret weapon on the floor. I first heard of it through the Andy Timmons video on youtube. Obviously, Andy's tone is ridiculous but 75% of it comes from his fingers. So, I was a little skeptical and wondered how it would work for me. I wonder no more! It really SMOOTHS out my tone, gives great sustain, and awesome musical feedback as notes die. It sounds like a smooth marshall if that makes any sense. Its not a distortion pedal, just an overdrive. I dont use it on solos (you could but switching to channel B of the SL2 which is already boosted for gain and vol AND then this would probably be overkill not to mention too much tap dancing for me), but I use it for lead lines over choruses and stuff. It really adds a thickeness that just makes it stand out in a mix a little more. Id absolutely use it for all of my studio leads though.

Oh and BTW, I loaded up a COD module next to my TD and I swear that the COD vs. DLX + BB is almost indistinguishable. They really sounded extremely close. So if anyone is running a DLX or TD and is interested in a COD, check out the BB and save yourself some module real estate in your MOD 50 or M4. I bet this thing with an E-Rect module would get you close to Mark style leads too (ala Petrucci).

Sorry for the commercial guys, but this thing is up there with my Suhr and MOD 50 as something I can now never be without and I had to share!

Matt, I just watched the same video on YouTube and I went and tried one. As soon as I dump a couple of pedals off on eBay I'm going to get a BB. I tried one out with the Les Paul I bought in the store the other day. I was playing the Paul into a Xotic BB into a 65 amp, G12H and Alnico Blue speakers. It smoked.

You wont regret it. Some of what this pedal does is subtle in the loud mix, but it really does round out the tone and give it a nice "umph!"

Dude, 65 Amps are killer as well! They were at the NY Amp Show and flat out blew me away. If I had money to burn, Id get one in a heartbeat. In the meantime, I can cop the tones just fine with the Eggy SL. ;)

EWSEthan said:
... " Obviously, Andy's tone is ridiculous but 75% of it comes from his fingers. "

Hmmm, I was thinking it was more like 80%....LOL I think that Ibanez had some Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, and then there are the Mesa and Laney amps, sounds killer.
Tommy, what was Andy using live when you saw him perform live ? On the website it looks like he's made the jump to all Mesa now.

H

seeker said:
EWSEthan said:
... " Obviously, Andy's tone is ridiculous but 75% of it comes from his fingers. "

Hmmm, I was thinking it was more like 80%....LOL I think that Ibanez had some Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, and then there are the Mesa and Laney amps, sounds killer.
Tommy, what was Andy using live when you saw him perform live ? On the website it looks like he's made the jump to all Mesa now.

H

Andy's last record "Resolution" was recorded entirely with vintage marshalls (I think 1 was a 71 SuperLead) set to just about break-up and then hit with a boost pedal (I think a tubescreamer).

Live, however, he is using the Mesa Lonestar for cleans and leads and a Mesa Stiletto Duece II for rhythm. Before this record came out, he was a Laney endorser, but I forget the model he used. Most of his old recordings is the Laney. I read somewhere that "Cry For You" is actually a Zoom distortion/multi-effects pedal (!), but whether thats true or not only Andy knows.

His AT300 Ibanez signature is a mahogany body with a custom Dimarzio humbucker in the bridge and two Dimarzio Cruiser single coils. The production humbucker closest to Andy's custom is widely reported to be the Breed.

Tommy, I am insanely jealous you saw Andy live. He's definitely my favorite player these days. Simply out of this world good in everything from tone to technique to song writing to phrasing to note selection. The absolute total package IMO, not to mention a really nice guy.

If anyone doesnt have "Resolution", you need it NOW! I dont even listen to instrumental guitar music anymore, but this is totally in a different league and is a must-have.

Yep, mighty cool. I've seen and Andy and talked with him a few times too. I've been to every Dallas Guitar Show since 1987 and so has he! He is always at someones booth or clinic or stage. Great guy. When I saw him two yeras ago he jammed with Satriani. It was how shall I say ... MMMMMMM GOOOD!

Howard,

He was pretty much using the exact rig as on the You Tube video you sent me. Signature Ibanez, Mesa amps. I think they are probably DiMarzios though. ALL of those Ibanez guys seem to have a DiMarzio deal too.

Oh and the story about the Zoom is true. It was one of those little Sony Walkman/ Scholtz Rockman sized deals. The original one, analog. He used it all the time, just plugged it into whatever amp they had.

Hey Matt sounds like you got your COD sound for way less than a COD and some mod space saved.Need MOD 50 with 4 spaces :D

jmgman70 said:
Hey Matt sounds like you got your COD sound for way less than a COD and some mod space saved.Need MOD 50 with 4 spaces :D

A MOD 54! Hahahaha. Somebody was talking about that in another thread (I think it was Tommy?). What a great idea is it!

The COD is a really cool module. I like it most for its feel rather than tone, if that makes any sense. Its really not a module that quite honestly gels with my playing style but I can totally see why it works for some people. Its so ultra smooth and that cant be dialed out. But thats totally fine because thats what its supposed to do. I just need more of an "edge" for my style of playing. If I do want it though, the DLX and BB gets me definitely close enough.

BTW, so sorry Jason for holding your COD so long. Ive been working like CRAZY. Im gonna try to hard to box it up tonight or tomorrow.

Not to worry Matt,I've been a busy boy too and I have my Erect to play with,the COD is a really a cool toy,I didn't use it much but when I do it sees to bring some goodness to my ears.................

Another underrated pedal from Xotic is the EP booster. That thing will broaden out your tone in just all kinds of ways throughout the lows and highs. It is like a magic pedal that only has 1 knob.