Camerock vs Cameron CCV

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksun

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this has somewhat been touched upon before..but I just got to ask anyway..

To me the Camerock module really kills most high end amps and their preamps, I simply haven't played anything that suits me better for that Jose, glammy and still angry marshall late 80s tone and beyond. How much better is the real deal???

Anyone tried both, and been able to A/B them? Drew?

Yes, I had them both at the same time. I still have a CCV, a different one than I owned at the time. Purchased from a friend of Mark's that had some special tweaks made to it. Let me gather some coherent thoughts and get back to this thread.

Well, I had some time to collect my thoughts.

The Camerock is a great module and it does what it is supposed to do - dirty, gritty, hot rod 80's. I found the module has the voicing, but didn't have the feel and could not move the air the CCV does (maybe this changes with an MDA or Foglifter?). Talking with Mark the CCV owes a lot to the power section - Super High Plate Voltage and Ultra Hot Biasing. That is what Mark claims gives the CCV its feel and allows a bottom end like no other amp I have ever played. I found the module was much more like the Marshall 1987X with a CCV mod that I have. NOT that this is a bad thing! I would have kept the module (it was/is great), but I was trying to fund another purchase and felt I could live without the module if my intention was to keep the CCV long-term. Since then, I purchased a different CCV from one of Mark's friends that had some tweaks and parted with the original one I owned (keeping the white headshell).

In a nutshell, I feel the voicing is as close to dead nuts as it can get. I think the CCV might be one of the toughest amps (I have ever played) to be reproduced in the modular world because of the odd things Mark does with the power section.

DISCLAIMER
**YMMV**

Thanks for posting Drew.

The RM voltage is pretty up there as far as I recall...Doug or Steve once told me it was 500...but when I measured it was closer to 515....real Cameron is 550? 600?

In any case, the low end and voicing on the Camerock is still one of my favorites.

I have an MDA in a LB (It's MattFig's old poop deck) but there is still something about the RM100s that bothers me...always has, the 50W always sounds sweeter to me but it looses a bit of punch and I think the CCV deserves a 100W power section.

I need to get an MDA in my RM50...maybe experiment with the Foglifter I got this weekend.