Low gain Tube In V1 .. ideas ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philc

Reaction score
v1 as in the first input tube on the Rm100

So long story short, i want to gain stage the whole amp to reduce noise / microphonics as much as possible.

12au7/at7 in V1 > use a boost pedal to run a hotter signal into the front of the amp ( which would theoretically lower the noise floor of V1 and the whole signal path, right ? )

anyway rambling aside i think this gets the point across. thoughts ?

also try at at7 in your preamp for lee gain, more fat because you can dial the output into the amp tubes more big. then eq with density and presence. Loud, true, fat tube drive. also a very crisp sound. a very classic sound. your finger can make no mistakes, or you need dirty style. speaking rock

If you are having problems with noise so bad where you have to reduce the gain with low-gain tubes then there might be a problem somewhere else. Do you have a power conditioner? Guitar shielded properly?

Unless you are playing high-gain stuff then you shouldn't have a noise problem IMO. If you boost your signal again with a pedal, you might be right back where you started because most of the noise originates with the guitar.

Whatever you choose here, good luck!

Withmittens:

I obviously cannot type, sorry

Take off your mittens! 8)

The primary role of V1 in the amp is a full-range gain stage with no specific frequency boost. It's primary role is to increase the level of the instrument above the noise floor as much as possible without sculpting the tone very much. Using a lower gain tube here isn't the best application or intention.

Move your lower gain tube to the PI for fantastic results. I use a JAN 5751 in every the PI of every MTS rig I own and it's a fantastic improvement in noise, clarity and definition.

Try it, I'll bet you like it.

I bought a balanced JAN 5751 after reading this post and put it in my PI on my Lynch Box head, and the results were perfectly phrased above by rob as "fantastic". Very worth it!

guitar@home said:
I bought a balanced JAN 5751 after reading this post and put it in my PI on my Lynch Box head, and the results were perfectly phrased above by rob as "fantastic". Very worth it!
Happy to help!

I actually took delivery of 5 amps last week and almost forgot about the PI swap. I plugged in before changing them out and had to think about what seemed so "wrong". :lol:

Does Rob or someone else know the difference between a JAN 5171 and a regular 5751 (non JAN)?

Does a regular balanced 5751 do the same trick?

Well I know JAN stands for Joint Army-Navy, so anything with that designation is considered military grade (milspec). So they've been tested and shown to be more rugged, and typically are less microphonic, etc..

I also use a JAN Philips 5751 in the PI position of my Mod50, and it beats anything else I've used there.