Stoner AD back in action and better than ever

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
I just fired up my fresh from the repair shop Stoner AD for a few minutes. Or, at least, as best I could considering that I have a bandaged ring finger that is going to prevent me from doing any serious guitar playing for a while. But anyway, this module had suffered from an intermittent and total dropout of the treble ever since I bought it (used). It has now been fixed up with a fresh treble pot, and it's hard to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it sounds more crisp and alive than it ever did before. It used to be that I would tend not to use it with humbuckers much, since it was on the dark side--it sounded much better with my G&L ASAT. Now both of my Les Pauls sound bold and punchy through it, even at its highest gain settings. I'm looking forward to getting to know this module all over again!

Yo, Whoop,

I just acquired one of these on trade, waiting for it to arrive. What do you find is the best thing to use it for? is it primarily a crunch tone?, would you say the natural channel is good for pedals since it's just guitar tone, no eq?

Thx

My very favorite thing to use it for (in fact, I'm doing this right now, in between typing) is as a crunch tone with my G&L ASAT. These pickups have a particular bite to them that the module does a good job of smoothing out, although since I got this module back from being repaired it has more of an edge than ever before (in a totally good way). I am personally not a big fan of the natural channel because I find that I rely on EQ to get my tone, but I also don't really use pedals, so it might be perfect for that.

It also sounds great as a crunch tone with my Tokai Les Paul Reborn, which has Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups in it. Again, this guitar has a particular bite to it. Darker-toned guitars also sound cool through the Stoner AD, but it's best paired with a guitar that has some twang, and plexi-esque crunch is its forte.