Best stock modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buriedorburned

Reaction score
Its been a good few years since i've owned any stock modules, and i honestly cant remember what the better ones were.
Can include Sig modules, but would like to hear on the regular MTS series too.

Opinions please!

Scary - some revisions better than others but i don't know which is which, I had two and the second one sounds better!

Brahma - the later black faced ones i think were "corrected" but i have had three, one sucked, the other two were white faced brahmas and really good. Kept the Friedman correct spec one.

XTC is a bit loose but overall pretty **** good for smooth lead tones and chunky rythms.

Ive used a lot of the stockers and some can hold their own..some sound great with a boost/eq added.... Some of the better ones to my ears...

Judge
Mr Scary
Grail
Ultra
Ultra XL
XTC

Havent played much of the low/mid gain stockers.

I still think that the blackface SL+ rocks.

Scary, Grail, and correct Brahma also fit for me.

Yup the SL+ is pretty good, I also like the 1086 and the stock Clean - the Clean was a complete surprise, take pedals well too.

I hear rumors that Matt Fig has a basic mod for the Clean that makes it even better!

I picked up a 1987 in trade and fully intended to have it modded. I was really surprised at how cool it was so it has stayed stock.
I have a stock plexi that i like but I am considering having the base mod done to it at JF. all of the other stockers I have either had base modded or turned into something else.

I've got 4 stockers still and they aren't surprising after reading the other responses; Clean, SL+, Mr Scary, and Grail.

All my modules are black-faceplate stockers, and they all sound great:

Clean
Blackface
JTM
Plexi
Brahma
SL+
Grail

I'm thinking of getting an SL+, how does it compare to the Mr Scary? (which is currently on it way to me)
Also, how does the former stand up to the Plexi?
Or does one just carry on, where the other takes off.....

My favorite stockers are the blackface, plexi and super v, and the 1086. That's why I still have them. The blackface for pedals mostly, the super v is just a great module, very versitile clean sound and good od too.