tubes, tubes, tubes... too many to choose!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Wadd

Reaction score
What's the deal with tubes?
Brand x makes it smoother, brand y more crunchy.. this one is matched, this one isn't..
This one has super duper gold tips and this one was made.in Russia...
So...
What's a newbie to to?

Get as much info as you can. Then of course trial and error. :lol:
Since I have the RT2/50 I am thinking of going EL34 type for the traditional Marshall vibe & & channel 2 probably KT88s for the huge crushing power. We'll see how that plays out. But 1st I got to get my guitar room in order... oh yeah & the M4.

There are a couple of great sites for current production tube "sound" evaluation.

The tube depot here in Memphis TN has some great information on pre and power tubes and a great bunch of folks to do business with too.

Also the Tube Store in CA has a plethora, I have waited a long time to get that in a post, of info on current production tubes as well.

Both sites have some great articles posted as well as some links to some other cool sites. Just like dude said. Read up, think about what you are looking for then try them out.

When I was running EL34's I preferred Tung Sol or Mullard RI's. EL84's EH's were my favorite. I found I wasn't a fan of 84's though. Too bright but the EH 84's were more 34 like as far as darkness goes. Still a little bright but not as bright as the others I had used.

I am using two Marshall Mosfet Lead 100's (sacrilege I know) but I like the reliability and the fact that you can pick them up fairly cheap! I run the RM4 through the effects loop on one and use the other one input to output into my stereo Randall cab. A little bit of chorus to get some distance and then mic eliminators out to the recorder and it is so 3D sounding!

velkeria said:
What's the deal with tubes?
Brand x makes it smoother, brand y more crunchy.. this one is matched, this one isn't..
This one has super duper gold tips and this one was made.in Russia...
So...
What's a newbie to to?

Mileage may vary, what one percieves is not what the other does
Pramp tubes are cheap, pull out some $ for a few different types/brands and see what happens when you swap around

The best advice I can ever give is "it's a subjective thing in the ear of the beholder." I have tubes I love and hate. I have more than enough players make tubes I dislike sing and tubes I love sound terrible. There is no right and wrong and fortunately there are options out there.

It's the same advice I give customers about modules. I may have just the thing for you or maybe one of my competitors does. If not I can design something from scratch. Choices are good.